Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Thanked 0 Times

Default RO Soft Starts

I'm thinking about getting a 600 RO, and talking to my friend about it who's an electrical engineer. I told him about the amperage requirements and motor sizes, and he thinks per code, the RO might need a soft start when the high pressure and recirc. pumps start up. The 5hp pump uses 20 amps and 6 amps for the recirc. pump. The SH service is 100 amps. I'm guessing most people are using these RO's on standard residential services. Has anyone heard of using soft starts, or having issues because of the draw when these pumps start up?

Also, has anyone had issues with surge charges? I've heard of someone else getting these when their vac. pump kicked on on a commercial account. I understand though that these charges aren't applied to residential accounts. Has anyone notified the electrical company about large motor startups?

Thanks
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 88
Thanked 0 Times

I realize this is an old post, but as the owner of a Geothermal heat pump I really disliked the lights flickering when it kicked in. I added what is called a Secure Start and it made all the world of difference. I forget the spikes, but 140-170 seem to ring a bell.

http://www.emersonclimate.com/en-us/...curestart.aspx

Pretty much performs as advertised.
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 280
Photos: 1
Thanked 9 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
I realize this is an old post, but as the owner of a Geothermal heat pump I really disliked the lights flickering when it kicked in. I added what is called a Secure Start and it made all the world of difference. I forget the spikes, but 140-170 seem to ring a bell.

http://www.emersonclimate.com/en-us/...curestart.aspx

Pretty much performs as advertised.
DieselPro

I don't get lights flickering, but I have blown 2 capacitors on my Geothermal in the last 4 years due to the hard start. Do these work on any system, and much are they.
Kioti 30hp sap hauler
2 mastiffs who love squirrels
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 88
Thanked 0 Times

I guess yu'd want to take this up with Emerson or the Tech that did your Geo.

We monitor the line with a meter called an Accuvim II and were seeing the voltage brown down. Had a larger transformer put in with no change.