Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default min taps on an ro

I was told today by a dealer that If I ran a 600 gph ro on 400 taps that I would never have enough rinse water to flush the membrane properly. That I would either have to increase tap numbers or go with a smaller ro. I realize that this size is a little big but I want 8 percent on the first pass.I have 400 taps available rite now and can add another 200 or so pretty easy.I was under the assumption that if you ran thru what you squeezed out then all is ok- what do you guys think?-foamy
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: None
Photos: 2
Thanked 42 Times
  View my photos  

foamy; Rule of thumb is the you need as much rinse water as the RO is rated per hour.
We have A 150gph Lapierre and rinse with no less than 3-400 gallons.Might be over kil but the membrane tested 100% when we had it cleaned buy Lapierre last year.
It does not pass any sugar when we run to 8% concentrate on one pass.
Just our thoughts

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Brown For This Post:
moeh1 (October 3rd, 2012)
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 821
Photos: 3
Thanked 23 Times
  View my photos  

Foamy, if you can do 600 taps on vac, you'll have enough, but just. I have a turbo 250, on 700 taps this past season. I have a 400 gal perm tank. If I have 600 gal of sap or more I'll have the full 400 gal of perm. If I only have 200 gal of sap and it looks like there will be sap the next day I squeeze it down to get as much perm as I can, then flush the sugar out of the membranes, then do a cold rinse with 50 gal or so, saving the rest for the next day. If I get after a couple slow days like that I've saved enough perm to do a soap wash and full rinse. If you only have the 400 taps you'd be tight. If you do 600 taps on vac you'll never regret the 600 RO, plus you'll have room for expansion without buying a bigger one. I will have 1,000 taps on vac next year and my 250 is already too small, but it'll have to do for another season.
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:49 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

I would agree with the dealer. My ro will make 8-10% one pass just not quite as fast as I can boil. I have a 300 gallon permeate tank and like to see it full when I run a soap wash. This gives me enough to rinse out sugar, wash and rinse with the rest. I prefer to use more than recommended to rinse. Some days with light runs I will squeeze it a little harder to get enough permeate.
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 350
Journals: 1
Photos: 25
Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

This is a good conversation. I was wondering how to decide, how large a ro to buy. And when should you even condsider it. I just got ray's brochure that Dennis had posted and was looking at his smallest one. For use with my 2x6.

Must admit I would like to see a couple of years of normal sap flow again before I leap at a RO..

The backflow conversation was something I did not know. Needing 1 to 3 times the amount of water (permate) to backflow. And I am assuming you cannot use well water because of the minerals. You need the pure water to flush contaminates.

I will go back to reading new posts on this thread.

Thanks
Woodsman
The Crescendo Auto Draw-Off System
Deere Run 125 GPH RO
50 on gravity
150 taps on vacuum
2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans
1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/...last_woodsman/

maple syrup, In the sugarhouse - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwoodsman View Post
The backflow conversation was something I did not know. Needing 1 to 3 times the amount of water (permate) to backflow. And I am assuming you cannot use well water because of the minerals. You need the pure water to flush contaminates.

It seems to be general recommendation of manufacturers to not use well water. And this may seem like nitt picking but it is not "back flushing" it is more like "flushing".
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: None
Photos: 2
Thanked 42 Times
  View my photos  

Guys ; All manufactures that we have had dealings with said DON"T USE WELL water to back flush. Too many minerals in well water and will plug up the membrane.

Jim
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brown View Post
All manufactures that we have had dealings with said DON"T USE WELL water to back flush.
Add "DON'T USE MUNICIPAL WATER" to that as well. Chlorine is really bad for most membranes.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default this is where I am at

I have looked at the cdl 250 gph hobby ro. I was told that these smaller (under 300gph) ro's will only get me 4 % from 2% sap on one pass and without the recirculating pump of the larger unit, higher concentrate levels could not be obtained unless you ran sap into a tank then ran that same sap again and again thru the machine. Each time you run the sap thru the performance of the membrane goes down. Maybe its just me but this seems like alot of monkeying around for 8% sap. -------what about rain water for rinse,Just a thought
Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 821
Photos: 3
Thanked 23 Times
  View my photos  

Lapiere turbo 250's have a recirculation pump built into the membrane housing. You should be able to go to 8% in one pass if you don't need to keep up with an evaporator. It would be better for the membranes to run two passes to get to 8, no different than most RO's.