Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1800
Thanked 0 Times

Default Supply Day

Went to Weber's in Heidelberg and Reist's in Elmira yesterday to pick up some supplies. Weber's was a hoppin' place.

I asked prices for the Embee plastic buckets and the 5/16 bucket spiles.

Weber's were cheapest for buckets. 3 IMP. Gal. $3.95 and $3.10 for the 2 IMP. Gal.

Reist's were cheapest for spiles at $ 0.35.

I picked up 200 spiles from Reist's to try out. I hope they do as well as the 7/16 especially in our fairly poor running bush.

Edgar at Reist's told me he had a tree tapped in their laneway and it measured 4% that day!

Salivated at the sight of many maple bushes on our drive yesterday. No one up there was tapped that we saw and we saw quite a few lined bushes.

Talked with a Mennonite fella at Weber's and he said this is the first winter he can remember that they weren't up to their crotches in snow. My 72 year old uncle who used to make syrup says he's never seen a winter like this either.

On a side note, I found out I'm very distantly related to the Weber's, through my Mennonite heritage in the Niagara area. I thought that was pretty cool. We came from Switzerland to Bucks County in Pennsylvania and came to Canada in 1802.
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 600
Photos: 3
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

On a side note, I found out I'm very distantly related to the Weber's, through my Mennonite heritage in the Niagara area. I thought that was pretty cool. We came from Switzerland to Bucks County in Pennsylvania and came to Canada in 1802.

did you ask for the family discount??
130 on gravity
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 5 Times

That is a great price for the Embee 3 gal buckets. I called Embee plastics the other day and they sell them for $4.25 as piece,unless you wanted a couple hundred. Then they could do a little better on the price.