Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 28th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Consumer

Number of Taps: 10
Classified Ads: 1
Thanked 0 Times
  View my ads  
Default Weekend Tappers

Hi all,

My partner and I would like to get out into the woods just outside of Toronto to tap a few maple trees this weekend. We're looking for recommendations regarding where we might find a small number of maple trees, maybe crown land close to a highway or off an easy logging road, or on the side of someone's farm or unused sugarbush. Anyway, your guidance would be much appreciated. We're only going to try it for a day or so and tap maybe 10 trees max. I have experience tapping trees on the westcoast, but have yet to try my luck in the Greater Toronto area.

Moreover, I'm also looking to purchase some metal buckets, spiles, and tubing and it has proven more difficult to source these materials in Toronto than I had assumed.

Thanks,

Michael
Old March 28th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfraser View Post
We're only going to try it for a day or so and tap maybe 10 trees max.
Perhaps I am misreading that but are you wanting to tap in the morning, wait for the buckets to fill, then pull the taps all the same day?

As far as supplies go I doubt you will find anyone in Toronto proper but here is a Google map of Ontario dealers - Dealers ? Ontario Maple Syrup Producers' Association
Old March 28th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Consumer

Number of Taps: 10
Classified Ads: 1
Thanked 0 Times
  View my ads  

Hi there, that is indeed our plan! If the sap isn’t flowing I suspect we’ll leave them overnight. Do you have any suggestions on where we might go?

Thanks for the product supply link!
Old March 29th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Is it worth it to buy buckets, taps, for a single day of maple production? You are likely looking at close to 20 bucks per bucket / tap set (don't need lids for a single day). Another option would be to buy 25 gallons of sap from a local producer then boil it yourself. That would cost chump change if they even charged you at all. 25 gallons of sap would give you between 8 and 10 liters of syrup depending on the sugar content. I will say that boiling on propane in Ontario will cost you more than buying syrup off the shelf just as an FYI item.

Tapping on crown land is allowed but most are looking to set up a commercial operation with a long term lease which is a complicated affair. Given you are looking to tap one day only and will be sitting there waiting for the buckets to fill you are good to go. I can't recommend a location for that given I am out to the far right of Ontario (not a political statement...LOL).

Only other thing I will mention is you are at the tail end of the season if not already done for that area so your day in the woods may be a bust. 4 weeks ago you would be right on the money (syrup).
Old March 29th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 4600
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 9
Thanked 38 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ex View Post
Is it worth it to buy buckets, taps, for a single day of maple production? You are likely looking at close to 20 bucks per bucket / tap set (don't need lids for a single day). Another option would be to buy 25 gallons of sap from a local producer then boil it yourself. That would cost chump change if they even charged you at all. 25 gallons of sap would give you between 8 and 10 liters of syrup depending on the sugar content. I will say that boiling on propane in Ontario will cost you more than buying syrup off the shelf just as an FYI item.

Tapping on crown land is allowed but most are looking to set up a commercial operation with a long term lease which is a complicated affair. Given you are looking to tap one day only and will be sitting there waiting for the buckets to fill you are good to go. I can't recommend a location for that given I am out to the far right of Ontario (not a political statement...LOL).

Only other thing I will mention is you are at the tail end of the season if not already done for that area so your day in the woods may be a bust. 4 weeks ago you would be right on the money (syrup).
Bryan - I think your math is off on how much syrup they will get from 25 gallons of sap. I'd buy all the sap I could get my hands on if 25 gallons yielded 8-10L of syrup! It would be more like 2-3L.

I haven't seen any maple supplies in hardware stores in Toronto but the TSC in Uxbridge or Bowmanville would likely have them? Hardware stores in other rural areas close to the GTA (Stouffville) may also carry hobby maple supplies.
Old March 30th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnisMaple View Post
Bryan - I think your math is off on how much syrup they will get from 25 gallons of sap.
You are right. I have made that same damn mistake three times in the past week. My construction nature has me so ingrained in 12" is a unit of measure. More to the story but I won't digress.