Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old May 1st, 2016, 06:11 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 384 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals
Default Perth Festival of the Maples 2016

With all the struggles I have recently had with stirred sugar it's kind of fun to win first place for sugar at the Perth, Ontario Maple Fest. For those outside our region that don't know the local county markets itself as the Maple Capital of Ontario and I am well outside their jurisdiction. Kind of fun...
jimsudz (May 2nd, 2016)
Old May 2nd, 2016, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 4600
Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 9
Thanked 34 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

We market ourselves as the Maple Syrup Capital of Ontario - maybe the crown for granulated sugar goes elsewhere?

Congrats on the ribbons in multiple categories at the Maple Festival on Saturday Bryan! The first place granulated sugar was actually just down the street sitting on our counter with a price tag on it...

All joking aside, the day we needed to get our samples ready for the contest was the same day we pulled and washed 3300 taps so when a couple of the samples weren't exactly perfect we decided the effort to prepare more samples was not worth it. Plus, my son grabbed my award winning maple butter entry from the fridge the day before to sell to his teacher.

Were you there? I was expecting to see you and Merna stop by the booth.

The crowd was great and sales were good. We sold almost all of the Very Dark-Strong syrup we brought which was a surprising benefit from switching to the new grading system.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 07:35 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 384 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnisMaple View Post
The first place granulated sugar was actually just down the street sitting on our counter with a price tag on it...
Hahaha.... very good answer Marty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnisMaple View Post
All joking aside, the day we needed to get our samples ready for the contest was the same day we pulled and washed 3300 taps so when a couple of the samples weren't exactly perfect we decided the effort to prepare more samples was not worth it.
I hear ya. I had just finished cleaning all my maple stuff the weekend before staying up late Sunday to prepare my entries to send out Xpress Post the next day. Really wanted to get in the judging this year but sure didn't feel like it at the time. We were planning on attending as we usually do but when the forecast changed to only one nice day on the weekend we needed it to get important work done at home.
Old May 8th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 130 Times

Congratulations Bryan, good job.
www.daveandjoanssugarhouse.com