Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Go Back   Sugarbush.Info > Regional Discussions > Canada > Ontario

Old March 29th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 4600
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 9
Thanked 34 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ex View Post
Drowning in sap! It was also one of the few times bucket collectors were boiling away while the vac guys sat out for the weekend due to everything being frozen up solid. I am guessing another two weeks to go locally based on long range forecasts... I had better buy some more wood.
Good to hear Bryan! We definitely did not sit out the weekend nor did the other Lanark County producers I know. Saturday it ran for a few hours late in the day but not enough to gather. Sunday the dam let loose and we couldn't keep up! We gathered 525 gallons every 2 hours from our 1900 tap section of woods and we lost ground throughout the day. By dark we had the tank low enough that we figured we had 1.5 GPT of storage. By the morning the twin 1500 gallon tanks were 8" from the top (they are equalized). We pushed 5,000 gallons through the RO and pans on Sunday and 7,000 gallons yesterday. We figured that at 720 GPH being processed by the RO we were losing ground. We've made very little dark-robust syrup. The sap coming in on the weekend was beautiful clear!
Old March 29th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 3 Times

I was worried when the season started. I'm happy now though! I have buckets overflowing all over the place and I don't care because there is no place to put it.

I'm running my little evaporator like a freight train trying to put a dent in it.

Like Bryan, I'll be out of wood before I run out of sap. Not a bad problem to have.
300 buckets
Massey 135 sap hauler
Old March 29th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 384 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorMaple View Post
Like Bryan, I'll be out of wood before I run out of sap. Not a bad problem to have.
2 cords being delivered tonight. About to get REAL busy splitting and boiling at the same time.
Old March 29th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 750
Photos: 9
Thanked 36 Times
  View my photos  

It's been great here in southern ontario too. I'm well over a Litre of syrup per tap and am now making my lightest syrup of the season And here I tapped in the middle of February because I thought it was going to be a short season

Nick
3x12 grimm raised flue
Kioti DS4510
Woodmizer LT40HD
A shotgun a shovel and 46 acres
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tradi...29754240593697
Old March 29th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 384 Times

Turned out all the sap tonight expecting yet another heavy run tomorrow while I attempt to empty my two bulk tanks. Buckets were overflowing in most cases. With too much sap coming in I want to keep the freshest given my three day a week boil schedule.
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 3 Times

I managed to empty my bulk tank last night, and I'll clean everything up today. Buckets are full all over the place, and there are some soft maple by the shack with huge buds where they're in full sun, and dry soil. I'll pull/dump those today. On those, the sap looks really clear still, but looking up at the tree it tells a different story.

The sap I boiled yesterday tested at between 3.3 and 3.5% with my new sap hydrometer (thanks Bryan). I think that may be due in part to collecting while still partially frozen. I chucked the ice when I emptied those. I'm not totally convinced that the ice has no sugar, but I bet the liquid sap was somewhat concentrated.

So here's the dilemma. I can't boil tomorrow (day job) and the weather is getting really warm. Do I collect and have everything in the bulk tank today, or leave it all in the buckets in the bush? I'll be cooler in the bush for sure, but I'll have time to collect today. If I leave them, it'll be late Friday after work, or early Saturday when I collect. I want to minimize the chance of spoilage if possible. Oh, and the bulk tank is in full shade all day, behind my shack. It's the air temp I'm worried about...

And then it goes back to winter apparently? Weird.
300 buckets
Massey 135 sap hauler
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 50
Photos: 11
Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos  

Sap went nuts North of Lachute
320 gallons in 2 days on 97 buckets!!!!
Old April 1st, 2016, 06:15 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 384 Times

Will test the sugar in the tanks tomorrow am and if it is still reasonable will boil all day. Planning to turn out all buckets at the end of the day and wash everything down before the hard freeze up Saturday night. Lilies have just broken ground along my road allowance which acts as my two week warning for maple production. Almost time to start scrubbing buckets again. Cold day on Sunday should allow me to catch up on bottling and wood splitting.
Old April 1st, 2016, 01:23 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Thanked 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorMaple View Post
So here's the dilemma. I can't boil tomorrow (day job) and the weather is getting really warm. Do I collect and have everything in the bulk tank today, or leave it all in the buckets in the bush? I'll be cooler in the bush for sure, but I'll have time to collect today. If I leave them, it'll be late Friday after work, or early Saturday when I collect. I want to minimize the chance of spoilage if possible. Oh, and the bulk tank is in full shade all day, behind my shack. It's the air temp I'm worried about...
In cases like that (like last night) I leave the sap in the buckets in the woods. Then when I do get time to collect (tonight) I can decide on a pail by pail basis what to keep and what to discard. I find that once it is in the tank, it will all spoil fast. If left in the buckets some buckets may spoil, and others will be clear. Our collecting criteria is that you need to be able to clearly see the bottom of the pail, or out it goes. And if it's all bad, we just dump them all and we're set for the next run.

The downside is that this approach can lead to more buckets that need an in-season cleaning which is a lot harder than hosing out a single storage tank, but worth the compromise in my view.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big_Eddy For This Post:
CastorMaple (April 1st, 2016)
Old April 1st, 2016, 06:21 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 384 Times

Makes sense but I also take a different approach. I like to get it all into the bulk tank as quickly as possible to get it out of the sun and into a larger volume that takes longer to warm up. The other thing I do is collect as many of those frozen solid buckets during hard freezes as I can and dump those huge sap-cicles right in the tank to help keep it cool. You would be surprised at just how long they will last in the tank.

BTW... buddy syrup now reported in Peterborough. We are getting close to the end.