Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Go Back   Sugarbush.Info > Regional Discussions > Canada > Ontario

Old March 21st, 2016, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 50
Photos: 11
Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos  

I can't believe they are announcing 15-20 cm of snow AGAIN in my area

I was able to make 12 litres of syrup this weekend and ran out of sap

I do have a big barrel of sap pucks though!!
Old March 21st, 2016, 10:25 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 160
Thanked 6 Times

It was a pretty good day for collection as it was only the Pm of the day again that it ran. 105 gallons 55 in and 50 still sitting along the trail as I had to lug 5-23 litres containers a 100 meters through the mud after I got the tractor stuck in a swampy area of the trail. I was using it after the ATV broke down, and I had a crappy boil rate as I was preoccupied with all of the other things going on.
Took the big snow blower off the tractor and the blade off the ATV yesterday, now it's going to snow.:roll eyes:
The wife did ask me tonight "Is this Maple Syrup really worth while?"
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 3 Times

I have the same problem Max. Lots of mud, and it's getting deeper by the day! That's one of the reason I'm looking into vacuum. Lots of spilled sap out there slogging buckets through swampy ground.

My wife asks me the exact same same question! and the answer is always "Yes!"

Had a decent run yesterday, and tapped a few more trees. Hopefully the bulk tank will be filled for this weekend.
300 buckets
Massey 135 sap hauler
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:59 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 384 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Sap went crazy again today. Everything I can store it in is filled to capacity including the "heus roof rack special" in the back of the truck. No way I will get through it all tomorrow. The hard freeze has been good for sugar content too. Up another couple points to 3.8 Brix. Long range forecast Is text book maple weather. Looking like a great season shaping up.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:33 PM
Producer

Thanked 6 Times

That's for sure Bryan it was a great sap day!
185 gallons (710 litres) and I packed it in at 8pm. The crazy trees were still putting out 2 drops a second and it was snowing pretty good. Now if I can get an evaporator to work like it was intended to I'd be a happy camper.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 3 Times

Buckets are filling up fast with some starting to overflow here, that's great to see finally.

Just need to get some time off to boil now, this day job of mine is really starting to interfere with my personal life

Bryan, that's awesome volume and sugar you're getting. On the sugar, I'm a full point behind you! What do you use to check it? I have a handheld refractometer, not the most accurate since the scale is bigger that I wanted.

MaxJ, what's your boil rate?
300 buckets
Massey 135 sap hauler
Old March 24th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 384 Times

I use a sap hydrometer to test with and will occasional double check with a Misco digital refractometer
CastorMaple (March 26th, 2016)
Old March 24th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Producer

Thanked 6 Times

Got out yesterday to find that the line containers were running onto the ground, switched them out and was kind of glad to see things slowing down for the pm of the day. Still it was a 175 gal. day and a total run of 465 (1782L) for the 3 day run!

My boil rate CastorMaple? IT SUCKS! Maybe 10 GPH if I blow into the draft.
I have a draft problem as I added a grate to the fire box which has reduced the spacing so my ash builds up too much-thus blocking air movement.
Old March 28th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 384 Times

Drowning in sap! Was out boiling in the ice storm Thursday night which was miserable to say the least. Friday buckets were all full but frozen solid. I was tempted to truck them all home to make "Maple Stonehenge" in the front yard but opted to just turn it all out. Heavy run Saturday again setting me up to boil all day Sunday. Easter dinner was served on a plate by the arch. Sunday I picked up another 300 gallons and had to turn the rest out which was almost twice as much. Both tanks are filled to the top and I can't boil again until Wednesday which looks like yet another heavy day coming. Running low on wood at this point with another week or two yet to go. Pulled the 10 taps on soft maples so as to not take any chances with early buddy syrup plus it seems I really don't need the extra sap this year. Only reason I bother with them is because I walk right by them from the house to the arch and just can't let it go. This is the first year I have not been able to keep up with 250 taps and you all know what that means. It was also one of the few times bucket collectors were boiling away while the vac guys sat out for the weekend due to everything being frozen up solid. I am guessing another two weeks to go locally based on long range forecasts... I had better buy some more wood.
Old March 28th, 2016, 10:45 PM
Producer

Thanked 6 Times

Still trying to recover from yesterday's show, 375 gallons and I knew there was more as it was still running past 11pm when I said screw the rest as I headed back to the shack to shut everything down. I didn't even check on the line today as I have so much sap in now that any more will be just for show. I'll get everything emptied in the morning and start the marathon boil up again to reduce the back log. Now if tomorrow comes and goes with nothing breaking I'll be