Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Go Back   Sugarbush.Info > Regional Discussions > Canada > Ontario

Old March 13th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 160
Thanked 6 Times

Today was only half of yesterday's total, 61 gallons. Seemed like the trees that were sheltered from the wind were the better producers. Looks like it'll be a slow week as the temps are staying above zero and rainy till at least friday.
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 384 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Bizarre. A couple warm rainy days then right back into a deep freeze with minus 12 Friday night locally and lots of cold days coming. Many figured it would warm up too much too fast but the opposite is happening. Took my first spill today (literally). Funny how when you are hauling buckets and take a fall it doesn't matter how much the knee or hand hurts it's the sap you just lost that is forefront in your mind. Still some snow cover in the bush but just enough to cover the smallest branches. The big ones are reaching up to grab me now.
Old March 15th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Producer

Thanked 6 Times

Everything has stopped since yesterday, went out and grabbed 7 gallons just to empty a couple of containers. The two week looks pretty good again, it'll great if it holds true.

I did two plants on the weekend one on me arse, and the other was the hand and knees both times I wore the sap. So many limbs down around the trees after the little ice storm and with hardly any snow there's trip hazards everywhere it seems.
Old March 16th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 4600
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 9
Thanked 34 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

We've got close to 1.5 GPT to boil from Monday to today's run. It ran all night with the vacuum on. Even if it's a slow trickle it adds up over 12 hours.
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Retired

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 0 Times

Not much here
Old March 18th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Producer

Thanked 6 Times

Nothing ran today, the northerly breezes were cool, tomorrow looks like it's a high of -1c so it might be a slow day as well.
Old March 20th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 384 Times

Took advantage of the hard freeze this weekend to get everything cleaned up and in order for the next rush. Pans and tanks cleaned, sweet filtered, ash dug out of the arch, all bottling done, etc. Also took the time to set another 50 taps which maximizes my tap count for the equipment I have. Lot's of very cold weather this week so I dunno. Not at all what I expected this spring. Saw a guy kayaking on the canal in downtown Ottawa Christmas Eve when normally people are skating by then.
Old March 20th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 3 Times

I hear you Bryan, strange weather. We had a couple of good runs last week. I would have finished bottling, but the water line to the shack froze So I'll head back to my day job for a few days, and wait for warmer weather later this week.

I may follow your lead, and set some more taps to maximize the sap volume!

Buckets are a 1/4 to 1/3 full but completely frozen at the moment.

on another note, I had a chance to visit Temple's Sugarbush west of Carleton Place on Friday (it was a cold but sunny day) and they were pulling a ton of sap via vacuum. I'm thinking that is definitely in the cards in short order. Gotta get a plan together for next year...
300 buckets
Massey 135 sap hauler
Old March 20th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Producer

Thanked 6 Times

Got out this afternoon to empty everything when it started to thaw out. It ran great for 5 hrs and managed to get another 65 gallons. The ice didn't melt off the puddles in the low areas, and there was sap icicles still hanging at 4pm in some areas. I'll start another boil in the morning and I'm hoping that the tweaking of the firebox will give me a better boil rate. Maybe the pan gods will look kindly upon me and send me my week late pan replacement tomorrow even.
Old March 21st, 2016, 09:02 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 384 Times

Surprised to find my second largest sap collection so far today and I wasn't expecting that at all (at least until this coming weekend) but my challenge will be to keep at least some of it from freezing solid before my Wednesday boil. Very hard freeze tonight again and cold daytime tomorrow with 160 gallons sitting in a stainless bulk tank in the shade. With another winter storm coming this won't be fun for sure. Good news is that sugar is up .5 brix to 3.5 but still under last year's season average of 3.8 If I freeze up too hard I may spend some time on the splitter instead. Burning through the small wood too quick for comfort given it seems we will be going for many more weeks yet.