Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Go Back   Sugarbush.Info > Regional Discussions > Canada > Ontario

Old October 5th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 384 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals
Default International Plowing Match - Finch, Ontario 2015

The 2015 International Plowing Match was hosted by the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry near the town of Finch, Ontario (located in the Township of North Stormont) from September 22 to 26, 2015. This event is the largest outdoor show in the country and it is estimated that more than 100,000 visitors attended. Plowing matches have been part of Ontario's agricultural history for well over a century and the event highlights rural life and the different rural communities across Ontario every year.

Eastern Local, representing the Ontario Maple Syrup Producers Association was in attendance full time all five days plus the necessary time required for set up and tear down the days before and after the event. We secured a 15’ x 20’ booth within the History & Heritage Tent which was the largest tented display area at the event next to the beer tent. While our main objective was to promote Ontario maple syrup and the new provincial “Sweet Ontario” branding campaign we were particularly focused on sampling pure Ontario maple sugar directly to consumers. Past experience and with much experimenting by Eastern Local over the past two years has determined we get the best positive consumer feedback and disseminate more maple information by sampling maple sugar than any other product we’ve tried. Compared to our syrup “taste testing” displays we have found it easier to sample, requires much less syrup for large crowds, and easily creates the most consumer interest. Even our shyest volunteers could manage to ask visitors if they would like to taste some sugar and before you know it a conversation has begun. This event was a tremendous success to local producers with several already reporting increased requests for pure maple sugar.

- Bryan Exley
Attached Thumbnails
International Plowing Match - Finch, Ontario 2015-ipm010.jpg   International Plowing Match - Finch, Ontario 2015-ipm020.jpg   International Plowing Match - Finch, Ontario 2015-ipm036.jpg   International Plowing Match - Finch, Ontario 2015-ipm039.jpg   International Plowing Match - Finch, Ontario 2015-ipm042.jpg  

International Plowing Match - Finch, Ontario 2015-ipm045.jpg   International Plowing Match - Finch, Ontario 2015-ipm049.jpg  
Old October 5th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 800
Thanked 12 Times

the person who owns the spout collection. Is he still sugaring? I et him in New Brunswick 2 years ago>
Old October 5th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 384 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Yes he is. He runs under the name "The Kettle Boys" and makes syrup in big cast iron pots over an open fire near the Pembroke, Ontario area. His tap collection dates back to the 1820's to current day.