Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals
Default OFA as a maple producer

For those of you in Ontario you likely know you are required to register your farm and join one of the farm organizations once you hit $7000 gross sales. It's a PITA but you can request a refund for those membership fees should you so choose. My question is if the OFA (Ontario Federation of Agriculture ) does anything for maple producers or is the money better spend on producer associations? I'm been searching a lot of stuff online today and can't find any info that indicates the OFA is a benefit for our specific commodity market. If you belong to the OFA as a maple producer is it worth it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan Ex For This Post:
Wiam (December 24th, 2013)
Old December 24th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 150
Thanked 4 Times

Correct me if I'm wrong but if your farm is not reg to one of the three,your farm will be taxed at a higher rate.....I'm a member of ofa. They are a voice IMO
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Do you produce other ag crops besides syrup jow? Might be worth the $220+/year if you do but so far I don't see the value for maple producers. A search of the OFA web site for the word "maple" turns up a story about milking "maple the cow" and that's about it. As far as the taxes go I'm guessing you mean property taxes and if that is the case any registered farm can claim ag rates. You do not need to belong to one of the farm organizations to qualify.
Old December 30th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 150
Thanked 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ex View Post
Do you produce other ag crops besides syrup jow? Might be worth the $220+/year if you do but so far I don't see the value for maple producers. A search of the OFA web site for the word "maple" turns up a story about milking "maple the cow" and that's about it. As far as the taxes go I'm guessing you mean property taxes and if that is the case any registered farm can claim ag rates. You do not need to belong to one of the farm organizations to qualify.
We produce corn,soys,wheat.also a poultry producer. I guess I feel it's a voice for us as maple producers IF a problem ever arose. I personally pay into it as i feel its necessary to have a strong voice along side as my business of poultry is constantly under the gun cause of its nature(supply management) Regarding property tax...I received a letter a few years ago,I had let my membership slide,in the letter it stated that my tax rate would be changed if I didn't belong to one of the three farm orgs.
Old January 6th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jow View Post
We produce corn,soys,wheat.also a poultry producer. I guess I feel it's a voice for us as maple producers IF a problem ever arose. I personally pay into it as i feel its necessary to have a strong voice along side as my business of poultry is constantly under the gun cause of its nature(supply management)
That I can certainly understand and can see the value added for your farm business. As a stand-alone maple producer I still think I might be getting far more direct support from the producers association. Will keep looking into it though as we are getting close to having to register.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jow View Post
Regarding property tax...I received a letter a few years ago,I had let my membership slide,in the letter it stated that my tax rate would be changed if I didn't belong to one of the three farm orgs.
I suspect that the letter was very carefully worded to imply that but I have yet to see anything along those lines. I'll do some more digging on that point for sure because the tax saving are huge. I get them now anyway but certainly want to have the correct information about it.

- Bryan