Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 280
Photos: 1
Thanked 9 Times
  View my photos  
Default Price per tap

My neighbour may lease me his small bush across the road this year. His main property is approx 20 minutes driving time from mine. He already makes syrup on the main property, so he's not interested in syrup as a trade for tapping his bush. This property he feels is too far away to tap.
What is a fair price per tap?
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 130

I'm not sure where I've read this before, but it ranges between $.50 to $.75 per tap. Depending on size of trees and ease of access.
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Even at a dollar a tap it would seem like a good deal to me. Each tap is about 1 litre of finished syrup which I sell locally for 20 bucks. I loose a dollar from my margin plus extra transport expenses but don't have to pay the property taxes or purchase the land.
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Whats the access like and will he allow trails or tubing. I tap another mans woods and I don't know what I would pay if I didn't have the woods. Plus I drive 7 miles 1 way with a trailer.
Old December 5th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 280
Photos: 1
Thanked 9 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
Whats the access like and will he allow trails or tubing. I tap another mans woods and I don't know what I would pay if I didn't have the woods. Plus I drive 7 miles 1 way with a trailer.
It's easy access right across the road from my place. The property is flat, and quite dry. I have not asked about trails, but it is fairly open, and I could travel through on my snowmobile, and wiggle my way through with my 4X4 30hp tractor. He is fine with tubing.
It's such an easy access, and conveniently across the road that I think even at $1.00 - $1.25 per tap it would still be a deal.
He is also a maple producer, so he may be more understanding to the requirements in the bush.