Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 20th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 280
Photos: 1
Thanked 9 Times
  View my photos  
Default Getting Equipment From US

How much of a hassle is it to get equipment from the US. I did buy a a finisher from Jim 2 seasons ago, and I did not have any issues.
Now I was thinking of buying new pans (2' X 6' evap.) for next season. Anyone share their cross border purchase experience.
Kioti 30hp sap hauler
2 mastiffs who love squirrels
Old April 20th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

I've brought a lot of stuff cross border but there is a difference between shipped stuff and picked up stuff. If you are having it shipped you will get hit with a brokerage fee if the value is over 20 bucks in addition to the sales tax. Have it shipped by mail rather than the standard UPS because the fees are hugely cheaper. If you are picking up standard cross border limits apply. A day trip and you pay full taxes on the value. If you go for 48 hours you can bring back 800 bucks per person tax free. You, a wife, and a couple of kids can bring back some serious maple equipment saving 13%.
Old April 20th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 640
Thanked 7 Times

I purchased a new 2 x8 inferno arch and pans from Leader and they where del to my yard on there truck.Leader and the dealer took care of all the border stuff.No problem on my part.
Old April 21st, 2013, 09:44 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I sent a $20.00 item I sold on Ebay and will never do business with Canada EVER. I say go with a 3 X 10 and put a electric trolling motor on it and the numbers of an old boat and run the river.
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:23 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
I sent a $20.00 item I sold on Ebay and will never do business with Canada EVER.
Why is that?
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:45 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

The cost of shipping. Then I had to give my credit card to the shipping store to let the custom's charge my card any duties NOT the buyer but me so it could have cost me money to sell to the item. took a week to find out if there was a cost and the buyer was pissing and moaning. OH and the guy didn't speak English and didn't read the part that I only sold to the USA..............Case closed
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:24 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Sounds like a pretty slick shipping company to me. Ship postal service and you write the address on it and maybe list the contents on a little sticker and off it goes. Case closed. . UPS and FedEx charge ridiculous brokerage fees for anything over 20 bucks.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Bryan didn't you start a thread about getting a bottle of syrup across the border? I believe that thread had quite the following
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:44 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Ah-ah... different issue. I asked about personally transporting a food product like maple across the border from a border crossing standpoint. Still far easier to do than a sandwhich btw. The legal process of sending a package to Canada or other countries is very straight forward. What varies is the costs and requirements from various shipping companies and especially ones with great commercials and fancy trucks. When it comes to cross border shipping you can not beat using regular old parcel post unless you are bringing it yourself. I do agree that I would not o through what you describe but I also don't think it's necessary to do so either. If you're looking at shipping a skid rather than a box then it's also a different issue.
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Banned
Producer

Photos: 25
Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos  

I ship items to Canada regularly. The bottlers and finishing pans, along with instruments and other small/medium size items ship easily and inexpensively through USPS. The pans and pan sets are best picked up at the border, though I ship them directly too.

A strange thing is that I can ship to a Canada address just over the border from me (a couple hundred miles) for the same prices as shipping to the NW BC where the Big Leaf craze is just starting.