Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 25th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default 40 Years ago Today

The blizzard of 1978 ....... The Great Blizzard of 1978
Old January 26th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

52 years ago tomorrow the blizzard of 1966 formed in Central NY, and it lasted 4 days. When done Oswego, on the SE corner of Lake Ontario got just over 103" of snow.
I far prefer the forecast for the next 3 days.
Back then I was dating a girl who later became my wife (over 50 years now). I walked to her home on old military snow skis and it took about 2 hrs to cover a distance that I ran in 15 minutes when the ground was bare. While Oswego had so much snow, we only had 72". My girlfriend lived on a hill and it took the plows 4 days (after the storm) to be able to get thru. The city had no big loader and the plows kept getting stuck and had to be pulled back by a dump truck half filled with sand and with chains on a single tire on each side. If we never get one like that again, that will be good with me.
www.cnymaple.com
Old January 27th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Flats View Post
52 years ago tomorrow the blizzard of 1966 formed in Central NY, and it lasted 4 days. When done Oswego, on the SE corner of Lake Ontario got just over 103" of snow.
I far prefer the forecast for the next 3 days.
Back then I was dating a girl who later became my wife (over 50 years now). I walked to her home on old military snow skis and it took about 2 hrs to cover a distance that I ran in 15 minutes when the ground was bare.
Running which way? There ( to get there of coarse ) home, ( when her dad found out you were there ) or both?
Old January 28th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 175 Times

Most times when I went to her house, was after school (but of course not when that blizzard hit, in fact I was in college then) but I at first rode the bus to school then walked her home and ran home. Later I drove to school, picked her up on the way and drove her home after (in my 57 Chevy). Here parents both liked me and my parents liked her. We actually got engaged as seniors in high school and got married when I was a senior in college. At that time i was going to college full time, working full time and I still managed to keep a 3.6 or better GPA. (I was smarter back then).
www.cnymaple.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Maple Flats For This Post:
DrTimPerkins (February 5th, 2018)
Old February 4th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 12 Times
  View my photos  
Default blizzard

I was a senior in high school . We were out of school for a month . It took about 3 days to plow our drive to the farm with our 8n.
CDL diaphragm sap sucker pump
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto draw off
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:07 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Photos: 1
Thanked 145 Times
  View my photos  

In 78 i had finished college in 75 and had taken a job with a local sportsman's supply company, but lived on the my grandparents home farm. we were the next to last house up a hollar so plowing us out was low priority. I can't even remember how long we were out of electric, but we had wood heat, could cook with wood, actually had a well with a hand pump my grandparents had used and an old outhouse . There was a newly wed couple 1/2 mile up the road (they had moved there from the city) and i walked to them and convinced them to move in with us until they had power. I ran chains on my car for 30 days, as even when we plowed there was several inches of ice under the snow. We simply kept our frozen food outside. We had chickens in the freezer and plenty of canned goods, so we fared very well. I think we were out of power around 10 days.
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 175 Times

In that '66 storm, I don't think we were without power more than a day, and at my parents house we had a coal stoker boiler that could be operated manually when needed by turning an aux. crank handle that operated the feed auger. For heat, we just operated a flow control valve on top of the boiler and the hot water flowed by gravity feed. In fact, for that part, my dad always ran the heat that way and never used the circulating pump. We got constant perfect temperature all of the time. I think he only needed to adjust that control valve with each major change in the outside temp.
We never lost phone service but had to wait to get an operator (for those too young to know, we used to have to pick up the phone and wait for an operator). At that time we did not have a dial on the phone. Dials came to our area in 1967 I believe. With that we got a new phone number. The old one was 447J, our new one had 7 digits and an area code for long distance calls.
www.cnymaple.com
Old February 5th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1630
Thanked 128 Times

Growing up in Mid- Michigan, I don't remember that storm being much different than a dozen others I lived thru, getting socked in till the county truck got to us and missing 3-4 days of school. The big event that does stand out was the ice storm from 2 years before. We didn't have school for almost 2 weeks and we didn't have power for over 2 weeks. It really hurt our woods and we lost quite a few trees. A few that I didn't think would make it, we are still tapping today. We probably lost 40 to 50 buckets from limb damage since the storm hit right after we had tapped, It was in early March. Every time we gathered it was like it was raining in the woods
a bunch of buckets no tubing yet