Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

Default Another thing to watch for

I was talking with a friend this morning who I used to work with. He told me a friend of his had seen a cougar near his house, which happens to be about 2 miles from one of my sugar bushes. The friend telling me is not the type to spread false tales or even exagerate. While cougars are occasionally seen around here, they are by no means normally here. The last time I heard of one near my area was at least 10 years ago, maybe longer. That time the local paper even had some pictures of the cat.
My thinking is that I'll now need to keep an eye in the trees for more than broken limbs and such. If it was a cougar, they have a very large territory to call home and 2 miles away would be nothing for one to travel. I may want to carry a handgun just in case.
www.cnymaple.com
Old February 3rd, 2017, 05:53 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 175 Times

Well, I know I can't outrun a cougar.
www.cnymaple.com
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1630
Thanked 128 Times

There have been multiple confimed sightings and a couple of dead cougars in the UP. I would like to see one someday. The young males disperse and travel great distances.
a bunch of buckets no tubing yet
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 57 Times

Flats, come on now, the DEC has been saying that although people are seeing them, they dont exist in NYS, not even the ones that they denigh were released.
Lots of help from my wife, Pat and
Son, Pete
D&G filterpress
16x32 canner from 3rdgen
600 custom RO
2015 Mahindra 70hp
Old February 4th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Photos: 1
Thanked 145 Times
  View my photos  

An encounter with a cougar would be depend on if you are a young man or old man. A young man is a cougar's prey, but they just growl at an old man and move on. So I'm safe if any show up in my woods.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckeye Gold For This Post:
xyz5150 (February 4th, 2017)
Old February 4th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 175 Times

They have denied wolves too, but a friend shot one (less than 15 miles from me) and got it mounted whole body. The DEC said it was a coyote, but it weighed over 140# and I've never heard of a coyote getting any where close to that weight. I think he claimed he was told that killing one was illegal in NYS, but says it was hunting him first.
Can't believe what the gov't tells us.
www.cnymaple.com
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Gold View Post
An encounter with a cougar would be depend on if you are a young man or old man. A young man is a cougar's prey, but they just growl at an old man and move on. So I'm safe if any show up in my woods.
So I need more grey hair rather than a hand gun? Seems I am working that program already. LOL
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

Default Wolves

Back in High School I had a friend that reported that he was having a wolf in his yard several times a week over the course of a month. He had a dog that he kept leashed up in the yard and was concerned that it was going to attack the dog if it got the chance. He kept calling the DNR and reporting it. They told him every time that it was a large coyote and that there was no wolves in his area. And that they knew where all the wolves were located at in the UP because they were all collared. At the end of the month coyote season opened up and he shot the large coyote and called the DNR Warden. Warden wanted to fine him something fierce and read him the riot act. He just looked at him and smiled and said I thought it was a wolf but you people convinced me I was wrong and that it was a large coyote. DNR never did issue him a fine or anything.

Same thing happened to another guy I knew except he never shot the large coyote. The guy was retired he got up every morning put the dog outside on the leash. And would sit down and start watching the morning news. Well one morning he fell asleep watching the news woke up and the only thing left of the lab was the tail and a leg. DNR showed up and confirmed it was a wolf kill. Larry told him no it wasn't it was a large coyote like you have been telling me for the last 6 months. And tomorrow I am going coyote hunting. They didn't like that one bit.

Moral of the story when the DNR denies it just go with it. If you have to shot it then there really isn't a lot they can do when they told you it was a coyote.
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old February 4th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Flats View Post
Can't believe what the gov't tells us.
Yes but I can tell you I have read this cougar story on social media and hunting forums over and over and over. It always plays out the identical way, some guy knows a guy who was sent a picture of a cougar/mountain lion from a buddy just down the road. I mean 100's of times I have read these stories. Every single time the picture gets posted I have done a reverse image google search, and every single time the picture pops up, originating from some state out west. I laugh cause a friend on facebook posted a picture of a cougar that was taken in Onieda county 2 weeks ago, I reverse image searched it and posted the original identical picture before the mountain range in the background was cropped out. And it originated in Arizona. Point is you cant believe the government but you cant believe a friend of a friend whos friend seen one either.