Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 28th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals
Default Vehicles - love 'em or hate 'em

Happy New Year! Two vehicles scrapped in two weeks. Totaled the 2014 Civic in a 12 car pile up caused by freezing rain. Civic was hit five times from behind and pushed into another vehicle when I stopped due to a pick up truck that spun out blocking both lanes. Really too bad not only because of the expense but because I really liked the car. With 150 000 km on it (100 000 miles) I never had to make a warranty claim. Doesn't show in the photos but three of the four roof pillars are creased from compaction. Looking at the car later on in the towing compound you can really see how the engineered crumple zones work.

As fate would have it while sorting out a rental car the starter went on the truck. Had it towed in to the local shop and the hoist punched through the bottom of the frame due to corrosion. Game over. It was a bit of a beater but I also really liked the truck.

We now have the new '17 Civic and replacement (used) truck is expected today. So much for Merna's new kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Vehicles - love 'em or hate 'em-car1.jpg   Vehicles - love 'em or hate 'em-car2.jpg  
Old January 28th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

Wow that is a bad start to the new year. It sucks but obviously that could have turned out much worse. You could have been seriously injured in that pile up. I don't know how Ontario insurance works but if they hit you then they should cover your car. So you should be covered in that regards. Glad your okay Brian.
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old January 28th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

No charges for anyone involved but the way Ontario insurance works is that if there are 4 or more vehicles involved you are automatically deemed 50% at fault by the insurance company no matter what happened. I did not know that until I made the claim. Insurance companies will get you one way or the other.
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

Boy that's pretty slick on there part I better check to see if that's the way our insurance works here also. Nothing like stacking the deck all the time in there favor. You can trust them about as much as a politician.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

I will say I really like the new Civic but the CVT transmission is so bizarre. Just doesn't seem right to have no gear changes and to have the rpm actually dropping as the car accelerates. Anyone that rides a snowmobile will get it but for a long term standard transmission guy I am having some challenges getting used to it (standard no longer available). Rest of the car is great! Larger than previous versions, tons of tech, and a bunch of luxury type stuff. This will be my 6th Civic in a row now since 1998.
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

Yeah all that tech stuff gets me nervous when the warranty runs out on them. Seems like that stuff would be expensive to replace. So what's the truck that you found? Are you stepping up to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton now that your planning on expanding?
Wife and 4 kids.
Old January 28th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnagel View Post
Wow that is a bad start to the new year. It sucks but obviously that could have turned out much worse. You could have been seriously injured in that pile up. I don't know how Ontario insurance works but if they hit you then they should cover your car. So you should be covered in that regards. Glad your okay Brian.
Insurances have a black box they seem to work out of. I purchased an electric badboy utv last year which ended up at the dealer a few times for warranty work. Well the utv dealers shop burned down and took my vehicle with it.... We both had the same insurance company but my policy covered 90% of the loss. 5 months later I received a small % from the dealers insurance. I really would have thought his insurance would have been the primary.
Smokey Lake Water jacketed finish pan & bottler
Deer Run hobby 125RO
375 taps and I seem to keep finding more
Old January 28th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Funny story on the truck. I want an extended cab (not full four door) with 8 foot box, 4x4, and not diesel. Found it to be a tough item to find. Local dealer had a F350 in good shape in that configuration so I made an offer even though it was more truck than I needed. They agreed to my price and the things I wanted fixed up but when they wrote up the deal they added a $850 "admin fee" to the purchase price. Told them it wasn't an admin fee given it was a used truck already on their lot it was a profit fee. They weren't willing to drop it so I walked. That same night I found the same set up only a F150 online and bought it as soon as I saw it in person. Going from an '03 F150 to a '12 F150.
Wiam (January 28th, 2017)
Old January 28th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

Brian since your staying with the 1/2 ton and are going to be hauling wood and pulling trailers. I would look at getting air bags installed in the rear. They keep the truck level when loaded down. You would be surpised at the difference it makes in turning and stopping. Keeps the stock look and ride. Dodges were about 100 bucks for the kit. Chevy's run about 225 and I don't know about the fords. Takes about an hour for the install very easy and well worth the money.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old January 28th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Truck won't be a sap hauler after the expansion... that will be done by tractor. Mostly hobby farm type use so no need to upgraded suspension. Truck I bought already has the heavy payload package installed even though I don't really need it.