Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default Global Cooling?

Been hearing a lot about global cooling lately. Hard to believe but none the less I do find it interesting. here is a couple reads if anyone else is interested.

http://www.thelongview.com.au/docume...Kevin-Long.pdf

*AG/FARMING & THE WEATHER OF GLOBAL COOLING: 2017-2025* |
Old September 8th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 3000
Photos: 5
Thanked 18 Times
  View my photos  

I have no doubt that at some point there will be another cooling trend, like in the 70's. All of the dire predictions will be swept under the rug for a few years.
3000 taps and growing
375 acres of northern Maine mountain
The Following User Says Thank You to Northwoods Nectar For This Post:
Randy (September 8th, 2016)
Old September 8th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

I have long doubted that the recent warming trend (global warming?) was caused by man. The earth has been swinging back and forth temperature wise for far longer than there were enough people to have caused it. I also believe it will swing back to cooler temperatures.
My beliefs are not based on these reports, but simply on looking at historical swings thru time. However, the politicians think they can change it by passing laws. I say, in that respect the only law that governs what will happen is the law of mother nature, and the only outside causes will be bigger than the earth's population, like huge volcanic eruptions (a huge volcanic eruption can spew more carbon dioxide in one eruption than the earth's population does in a year., huge meteors striking the earth and other rare occurrences.
The next question we as maplers face, it what this means for maple production. I can see the sugar maples doing well, but will springs be good for sap production? I guess time will tell.
It seems syrup production really hit it's big "beginning" during the cold at the late 1800's and early 1900's, maybe we will continue to see greater yields (and more surpluses? as an industry).
www.cnymaple.com
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 52
Thanked 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Flats View Post
I have long doubted that the recent warming trend (global warming?) was caused by man. The earth has been swinging back and forth temperature wise for far longer than there were enough people to have caused it. I also believe it will swing back to cooler temperatures.
Maple Flats- I see this kind of quote quite a bit, the "doubt man has caused climate change". You are 100% correct- the climate has swung back and forth for quite some time, much of this was due to the Milankovitch cycles (changing of earth' orbit eccentricity and the angle of earth's tilt). Other big swings in the historical climate were caused by the changing of the ocean current flow direction and magnitude, and even by the evolution of new organisms.

For example, the evolution of rooted vascular plants, their movement to land, and subsequent boom in photosynthesis caused CO2 concentrations to plummet in the early Devonian. This has been shown by multiple published papers, and makes sense. Development of and increased levels of photosynthesis will remove CO2 from the atmosphere, and coupled with what we know of from the physics side of things, reduced CO2 allows long-wave heat energy to escape the planet, thus cooling it. In fact, if we didn't have any greenhouse gases (not just CO2, but everything else, including methane, water vapor, and the various oxides), the earth would be 33* Celsius (91 Fahrenheit!) cooler. The important parts of this is: living creatures can affect CO2 concentrations, and we can see a drastic change in climate as a result of it.

Getting back to your stance, your doubt that we can effect the global climate, what aspect of it do you feel is erroneous?

Evolution of rooted vascular plants and climate: Atmospheric CO2, climate and evolution – lessons from the past - Pataki - 2002 - New Phytologist - Wiley Online Library

Greenhouse effect: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/infodat...f%20Theory.pdf
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Interesting , I recall a presentation from Dr Tim at Leme and he showed the trending of when we first tap our trees . The charts, we all know Dr Tim likes charts , showed we would be tapping earlier and earlier each year do to warming . I tend to agree with Dr Tim .