Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Best vsacuum muffler to date

I have 4 gast vacuum pump set ups and noise is always an issue when neighbors are near. I started out with just the glass jars and that was painful because they are not really a muffler but a dust collection receptacle

Then I use a piece of PVC with carpet on the inside and that was the best ever. Now I have a HVAC guy named roger that is 80 and every time he comes over he parts ways by saying " If you don't ask for my help I cant help you REMEMBER THAT" !! He is constantly building things for the shack mainly sheet metal pieces. Currently he is sleeping on a cot in his shop waiting for me to show up with two tanks I'm having built so he can make the lids..................But I Digress.

I asked him to make me up a muffler out of some extra 8" vent pipe I had. Easy as pie I want it to have a 1 1/2 PVC glue fitting on one end and vent holes on the other and fiberglass on the inside. I had some suction hose laying around that was to still for out side cold weather use so it is the muffler pipe and works great. I tested it and it doesn't effect the vacuum in any way. I know back pressure is a concern. I also tested it to see if it helped quiet the pump with the old style PVC and it had a big difference in the high pitch whine. They are cheap and easy to make using all store bought crap off the shelf at HD. So with out further ado
Attached Thumbnails
Best vsacuum muffler to date-img_0816.jpg   Best vsacuum muffler to date-img_0825.jpg   Best vsacuum muffler to date-img_0814.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haynes Forest Products For This Helpful Post:
DrTimPerkins (March 22nd, 2016), Robert K (March 21st, 2016)
Old March 18th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 116 Times

Nice, I might have to whip one of those up! I have the vacuum pump inside the sugar shack, gets really annoying after a few hours of listening to it scream.
Old March 21st, 2016, 10:52 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 116 Times

So I put one of these together this morning, worked awesome.

Except I used a pvc nipple between the pump and a camlock. After about a half hour the muffler fell off. It melted the pvc nipple. My pump runs cool, the only part that gets hot is the exit hole around the threads. Is this normal?
Tomorrow I'm gonna take off the canister and use aluminum camlocks to dissipate more heat.