Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old July 20th, 2015, 02:35 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default What weekend i had

I had a job installing 2 30" culverts in a dry creek bed. All was going good until I got to working in the creek bed and water started raising as I was digging down to level the area. This in important information to the story My son was at the ex wife's house helping with the grand kids. So I get the Bobcat stuck in the wet sand trying to get up the incline. Now I have been stuck before and go out but this was bad. I was High centered in water and sand with the tracks just spinning.

I called the wife to come over and pull me out but she didn't answer her phone for about an hour so I was getting pretty POed . Finally she calls me and after I read her the riot act about having her phone with her she comes out and walks into the trail area. I explained how to pull using a tow strap I had a heavy high strength chain with a 48,000 strap. I have the truck all set up in 4 wheel low all hocked up and ready to go and I tell her to call me when she is ready.....................that's when she says I didn't bring my phone OK SWEETY just give er hell and when I see the brake lights go out Ill back out. So the lights go out and I pull back on the controls and nothing not a wiggle the thing doesn't move. I shut the throttle down and all I can hear is the truck grinding 4 holes in the trail. I walk over and she asks "Did it come out.

I ask her to get out and watch how I want her to yank the truck out. Now its about 9:00 at night and I'm tired and pissed off so I jump in the truck and back up about 20 ft and give it all its got. I can tell by the way the truck came to a almost sudden stop and then shot forward it wasn't because the Bobcat came up and over the bank. When I got out of the truck and saw that the strap and chain were all tangled up at my wife's feet and there was going to be hell to pay.

The last I saw of my wife that night was when he was giving me the old up yours wave as she disappeared into the night. leaving me to admire the hook less end of the chain. I packed it up and went home and went to bed. I got a text at 12:00 she was spending the night at wifey number 1&2 with my son.

So day number two I enlist my neighbor to help me get this damn thing out. We go over and find its back end is submerged under water and the sand is level with the tracks. The thing started and then shut down and wouldn't crank over. We cant open the back because its frozen in 2ft of sand and water. I get a pump and we pump out the area and dig and dig and finally get the back open enough to reach the battery but its under water. My $159.00 jump box wont even engage the starter so now we go get my generator and big battery charger/quick start. Still wont start and we cant see the starter because its also under water.

Right about this time my first load of 15 yards of road base has arrived and the driver agrees to give a few tugs on the strap. I never in my life saw a fully loaded truck of that weight and size come to a halt without even a wiggle out of that Bobcrap. Now I didn't think much of the fact that the chain was stretching as much as the strap. So we dig and dig and finally I have had about all I can take of this crap so I decide well screw that trying to pull it up the bank Ill pull it backwards onto level sand and water and get the door open. I take the chain and find something on that black and white piece of crap in the water to hook the chain to and I get the truck pulled tight on the chain and back up a fair amount and take off and once again I feel that sudden stopping of the truck with my nose about on the steering wheel when all hell breaks loose and as I fly back in my seat I hear this god awful slam banging going on and see the windshield spider crack all over and a soft ball section of glass cave in. I get out to tell my bubby what happened and he is bent over laughing telling me Holy Crap you need to see the back of your truck. I took out the back cap window and I now have a row of dents from the hitch up the tailgate and over the cap and roof ending at the windshield.

We were able to get the water level down to get to the battery and after about an hr of charging and pounding on the starter with a hammer it started and I was able to drive it out. I finished the job Sunday about 7:00pm and man am I tired.

OH and 3rd came home from 1 and 2s and called and asked if I needed help..............I think Ill keep her around a little longer.
Old July 20th, 2015, 09:01 AM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

sorry Chuck,but that doesn't sound like a very profitable weekend. That's what used to always frustrate me about those "weekend" jobs

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

I made money but I will pay for it at trade in time on the old Ford. I did take a 25 ft chain and turn it into a 26 ft. chain. I guess Ill use it to drag behind my trail groomer. It might come in handy when I need to keep something from floating in the lake.
Old July 20th, 2015, 05:12 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default here's the real story

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old July 20th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Next time throw a coat, blanket, tarp or something else in the middle of the tow strap,chain. That way if it breaks it wont go flying at something you would rather not get destroyed or someone youd rather not get hurt. I can relate though I buried a Case tractor in a creek bed when I was in my teens. Man I didnt want dad to find out and spent a couple days doing some dumb stuff trying to get it out. Then I got smart and hook a chain around base of a tree and through the rim of rear tire and crawled it out a couple feet at a time. When chain goes past center point and loosens up you start the process over. Most often frustration leads to stupidity.
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

The problem with Bobcats is they don't have good anchor points for hauling lifting or pulling them out of trouble. Just like the battery. Sooner or later your going to have to jump the battery and the positive post is on the far side of the engine compartment behind all sorts of wiring. Just stupid.
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

Was this a rental Bobcat or yours? If its yours maybe weld some tow hooks on the thing for next time? My JD battery compartment is pretty bad too. Not much in the way except you have to swing the cowl open and if the loader is on it it doesnt open far enough to get your hands in the battery compartment. So you either take the loader off or you park where you can lower the loader down lower than the front tires. Thats all good but if Im getting in the battery compartment its cause the damn battery is dead, so how do you take the loader off or move it to get the bucket low enough to swing the cowl open to jump the battery or replace it.
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

Put your positive jumper cable clamp on the other end of the battery cable. (starter lug). Electricity doesn't know where it enters the system, it just does it.
Same with the ground clamp.

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack
The Following User Says Thank You to lpakiz For This Post:
3rdgen.maple (July 20th, 2015)
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpakiz View Post
Put your positive jumper cable clamp on the other end of the battery cable. (starter lug). Electricity doesn't know where it enters the system, it just does it.
Same with the ground clamp.
Good tip.
Thats actually what I have done before, problem I have had in the past (this spring) is one day the battery would be absolutely fine, then the next day just dead, so dead it wont take any charge to even jump it. Dont know why it kills a battery like it does, usually you start to loose cranking power and slowly gets weaker but not this thing. Its almost like a lithium battery in a drill. However it only does it about every 2 years. What I want to do sometime is set up a remote set of terminals to put a trickle charger on it when its cold out so I dont have to worry about this problem during sugaring season.
Old July 21st, 2015, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

I did that on my 4-wheeler, where NOTHING is accessable. Just made up a short wire with an eye on one end to connect to the positive battery terminal, and routed it to a place I could get to. I made sure it is out of the way of danger and hangs in mid-air, so there's no chance of a short. Connection end is a bare butt connector, taped with black tape.
They do make kits for wheelers and motorcycles that include a trickle charger and a 2-piece harness. Wire in the permanent harness-half. Then just plug in the charger when necessary, and unplug when it's time to use it.

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack