Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals
Default Message in a bottle (4 actually)

When my dad passed away three years ago his last request was to have his ashes spread at sea out of sight of land. Reason for that was because he was an avid sailor constantly working on the experience, training, opportunity, and finances to do just that... sail off shore. All of those never came together at the same time so he never achieved that goal. After his death Merna and I flew to St. John's, Newfoundland and then chartered a boat. 12 miles due East of Cape Spear we turned his ashes to the sea. Where this gets interesting is that at the same location I also launched 4 sealed bottles with messages and return address inside - one for each direction - port, starboard, fore, & aft.. I was kind of curious as to how far my father sailed on this last voyage. 14 months later I received a letter from a guy living on a island just barely off the coast of France (close enough to be connected by a bridge) that operated a wine bar for tourists along with an oyster farm. I kind of forgot about the whole thing this past year when another letter shows up from Cuba. This time it was a teacher in Cuba with a birthday the same day my father passed away. Looking at the ocean currents that bottle likely took three years to cross the Atlantic, travel south along Europe and Africa, then cross back over to the Caribean to altimately be found on a beach in Cuba. When you figure the likely hood of a glass bottle being destroyed in the surf against rocks or landing somewhere uninhabited I would say 50% response rate is pretty good. Still two more bottles out there somewhere.
3rdgen.maple (July 1st, 2015), DrTimPerkins (July 1st, 2015), Lake View Maple (July 2nd, 2015)
Old June 30th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Daryl's 5" filter press
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 1100
Classified Ads: 2
Thanked 85 Times
  View my ads  

Brian,
That is just like pennies from Heaven. Dad just wanted to give you a reminder you of him.
Daryl
Dealers for DSD, Memprotec, Sunrise Metal Shop
& Bosworth Pumps
Old June 30th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Those are the stories that will pop into your head at the strangest times but will be well timed. Sounds like he lived life well Thanks for the memories.

We also sent my parents ashes to the waters of Lake Michigan and unfortunately my fondest memories of my fathers boating experiences would be of him pulling my mother of the pier TWICE, spending the night on a sand bar on the Mississippi, watching one of the blades off the prop go shooting out of the water into mid air (nice shinny SS) or jackknifing the trailer every 10ft trying to back it down the boat ramp. When my dad would say who wants to go boating we would all run and hide.Thanks for sharing.
Old June 30th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
Those are the stories that will pop into your head at the strangest times but will be well timed. Sounds like he lived life well Thanks for the memories.

We also sent my parents ashes to the waters of Lake Michigan and unfortunately my fondest memories of my fathers boating experiences would be of him pulling my mother of the pier TWICE, spending the night on a sand bar on the Mississippi, watching one of the blades off the prop go shooting out of the water into mid air (nice shinny SS) or jackknifing the trailer every 10ft trying to back it down the boat ramp. When my dad would say who wants to go boating we would all run and hide.Thanks for sharing.
Sounds like you must take after your mom.
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:56 PM
2013 Arcade Champion
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Classified Ads: 1
Thanked 23 Times
Bounce Back Champion, Yeti 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yeti 5 - Flamingo Drive Champion, Yeti 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, Yeti 8 - Jungle Swing Champion, Yeti 9 - Final Spit Champion, Crash Down Champion   View my ads  

Bryan, that's an awesome story.
2012 250 vac. some bags
2013 315 vac. 20 bags
2015 230 vac. 50 gravity/25 bags
2016 450 all on vacuum
2018 1000 taps or better
CDL management system. New for 2018
Custom Smoky Lake pans 6' drop flue
Smoky Lake arch
Deer Run Maple RO 125 hobby. New for 2014
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:17 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default Awesome story

Just a AWESOME STORY ,THIS CHANGED MY DAY
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 4600
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 9
Thanked 39 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Great story Bryan!

We spread most of Dad's ashes in the sugar bush on top of the highest hill. I don't hate tapping that hill as much as I used to...