Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Sorghum syrup

Building a set of pans for a producer in Northern NY who is dual purposing them, making sorghum syrup in the fall and maple syrup in the spring. I never heard of sorghum syrup and never even knew it could be grown in NY. Definately going to take a visit and see how its done. Has anyone heard of it or tasted it? He explained that many people confuse the name by calling it molasses. I guess its has similar flavor but no bitterness like molasses. Supposedly its should be cold packed and does not go bad or mold. Very interesting to me. Youtube has a few videos on it but nothing that gives enough detail to jump in a give it a whirl.
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

Here is one of the better videos I have watched on it.
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 9000
Thanked 90 Times
Cube Crash Champion  

Mose H Miller's boys up here make it. I don't like it but then again, I'm prejudiced.
Old June 13th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

Do they live in Theresa?
Old June 13th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Its a down south thing... process it like sugar cane ( run the stalks through a crimp roller to squeeze out the juice ) boil using flat pans. Slow heat.
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
Old June 13th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default I like it

I am going to make some with another maple producer in southern VT this October. I think that it is a great additive to baked beans or over a ham , on salmon etc . It is not maple syrup that is for sure but it has its place. -foamy
Old June 13th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

I remember back in 65 on a canoe trip into Canada our friends on the trip brought some along. I remember now that the discussion was about how it was a better form of molasses. I really liked the taste and its color. Now you have me thinking I need to get a jar and see if it this is as good as I remember. It looked like honey and was as thick. Now I know why I liked the way STP looked when you poured it out..................Nope never tried it. Thanks for the memories.
Old June 13th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 45 Times

Well,,,, I have helped make sorghum syrup----- molasses. Down here in the south the two words are used interchangeably and often together.
The most critical thing about making sorghum syrup is skimming the green crud off,,,,,,,,,, To much skimming breaks up the crud and then it won't come back to top to skim off and have very dark, green syrup and not enough skimming and you have green syrup.
To dual purposing pans????? Maple syrup pans are set level and sorghum pans are set higher ,,, 1"-1 1/2" higher on the finish end. I do not believe that flue pans would work. I had give it some thought to making sorghum syrup but getting to old to start another project that big. Whereas maple syrup can be made as a one man operation, sorghum takes a crew unless you have a cutter-squeezer out in the field like in the video. It is a very slow process of squeezing with the horse going around in a circle. Or a stationary press and they are hard to find.
But good luck to those giving it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
Building a set of pans for a producer in Northern NY who is dual purposing them, making sorghum syrup in the fall and maple syrup in the spring. I never heard of sorghum syrup and never even knew it could be grown in NY. Definately going to take a visit and see how its done. Has anyone heard of it or tasted it? He explained that many people confuse the name by calling it molasses. I guess its has similar flavor but no bitterness like molasses. Supposedly its should be cold packed and does not go bad or mold. Very interesting to me. Youtube has a few videos on it but nothing that gives enough detail to jump in a give it a whirl.
2010 Built a sugar shack using used tin,,, now got a roof over me
2009 and before cooking out side
2008 bought my piece of land
1972- 2008 cooked as work permitted
1972 Mom and dad made some syrup in kettles for first time
Old July 29th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1750
Photos: 12
Thanked 5 Times
  View my photos  
Default 10 to 1

I've made sorghum syrup here in mid Michigan a couple of times. I pull my maple pans and place a flat pan on my arch and batch boil the most of it then finish it on a gas burner. I take mine to 228 dg. You will need to cool it a bit before you bottle it or there may be a foam on top of your product. My cane looks very sad right now as we have not had enough heat to grow. I've got a JD power driven corn binder to harvest the cane and a power driven horizontal mill. Just something else to mess with. The wood fired oven is making 150 loaves of bread a week now for our farmers market.
Old July 30th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Photos: 1
Thanked 145 Times
  View my photos  

I'll be real blunt.....I don't like it and do not believe it compares with Maple syrup at all. It has it's own taste and in my opinion is only good for cooking. If your eating pancakes or french toast slide the sorghum aside and reach for the real stuff....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buckeye Gold For This Helpful Post:
jimsudz (July 30th, 2015), RHale (August 2nd, 2015)