Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 4th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Photos: 8
Thanked 59 Times
  View my photos  
Default So - What else can go wrong???

I completed Boil number two of the Season early yesterday evening and put my little homemade rig to bed. I skipped a few "Put to bed" things as I was starting Boil number three of the season - this morning. I had trouble with the generator - but - finally got that going - lights and power for the pump are good. Took the covers off the pans, isolation plugs in place and all the sections still have maple in them - good - I start a small fire in the arch.......Wrong thing to do. ----It dropped to 20F during the night and everything froze up. The pump from the storage barrels to feed tank, The hose from the feed tank to the sap pans. I check the fire and notice I am beyond syrup in the last syrup section which is still isolated. I scoop near syrup to beyond syrup to prevent scorching and scoop beyond sap to near syrup as that is still isolated. "Don't Panic"!!!! I grab a pail and run to the sap barrels and all the screw lids are acting up - I finally get a pail of sap and dash back to the sap pans - just in time to add sap and remove the isolation plug between sap and syrup sections. Yikes - need more sap - so I get that. I have syrup and draw that off and remove the last isolation plug in the syrup sections. I thaw out the sap line at the feed tank - still no flow - find more ice in line inside sugar shack thaw that. Now the boil is dying add fuel and draw off more syrup and run for another pail of sap. The pump is thawed out and I fill the feed tank. I now have a sap flow through the lines to the sap section ------Life is Good - Back to Normal???? Whatever that is.
12x14 Sugar Shack
55 For Sure Taps
100 Not Sure Taps
Old April 4th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default Pucker factor

I read on one of the maple forms that it is called Pucker Factor =When your boiling and your backbone starts inching close to your belly button = You can figure out how far you pushed it on a scale of one to 10 . sounds like a good save -Foamy
Old April 4th, 2015, 09:19 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 700
Classified Ads: 4
Photos: 44
Thanked 98 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

been there done that

https://youtu.be/cK7V6VG2B_k
Old April 4th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Ausable what makes you so special you cant completely screw up everything and suffer the consequences. Good job keeping your wits about you. Now you know how I operate all the time.
Old April 7th, 2015, 06:25 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Photos: 8
Thanked 59 Times
  View my photos  

OK! The day I was going nuts and everything was going wrong - I did learn something. Using my isolation plug between my second and last syrup sections - I can now make finished (sometimes too finished) maple syrup on my home made evaporator. I have made 4 gallons this way and have not used my old turkey fryer burner and restaurant pan to finish on - yet. I'll admit - it is tricky and I have to pay attention to business - but - kind of neat. Yes - an Old Dog can learn a new trick or two. Finally - Yesterday - Mother Nature got generous with her sap.
12x14 Sugar Shack
55 For Sure Taps
100 Not Sure Taps