Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 3rd, 2015, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 475
Photos: 1
Thanked 48 Times
  View my photos  
Default 3 Day Pass

I'm as eager as the next guy to get going, maybe moreso due to our smaller size operation here. But sometimes you can work with mother nature, sometimes you can work around her, sometimes she flat out wins for a while.
Like a lot of people, we had to break the trail, ours with a tractor and front loader, and shovel for rises and turns where the tractor was a bit too long to really work. The snowis too deep for a truck with snow plow, too deep for the atv, too deep for just the 4x4 tractor. So, three feet at a time with the loader. Worked ok, I like working. Then, it snowed again, and blew 30 mph. Did it again. More snow, more wind. Did it again. More snow and heavy wind. Some consolation in that its been a record breaker winter for us (and lots of others!). It may be hard to tell by reading a paragraph here, but I'm both p*ssed off and anxious at the same time. This from a stoic Scandinavian.
So, stuff is ready here. But I'm taking a 3 Day Pass to relax, and we'll tap then.
We'll get after it soon as we can. I hope you can too.
take care, Mark
Poly tanks, cage tank, small trailer, JD2720
Several extra SS pans and propane burners
Single cone filter and tank/Sunrise Metal Shop
14x16 Sugar Shack, Sugars, Blacks, some Silvers
The Following User Says Thank You to maplemark753 For This Post:
RHale (March 3rd, 2015)
Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:30 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 620
Thanked 150 Times

I have set up the tubing the last time it was 40 degrees for 24 hours. About 3 weeks ago. Since then I have held off doing anything in the bush. Just too cold and too much snow. And we don't have to plow out the trails, we let the highway crews do that for us. So we wait and work on other things. yes a little frustrating But it should be one you can tell your grandkids about:)
Regards,
Chris
Old March 4th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 475
Photos: 1
Thanked 48 Times
  View my photos  

Well, the 3 day turned into a one day breather here, lol. Nice weather today, so we began tapping. Feels better working, even if theres a few day freeze up coming. The extended forecast looks much better too. Only got about a hundred taps in today, but that's enough for today. Surprisingly, the snow had settled some, and the tractor packed the snow down fine. I saw another thread about patience, and I agree with that some. Whatever, rest can come after the season, even the longest season is short. take care, Mark
Poly tanks, cage tank, small trailer, JD2720
Several extra SS pans and propane burners
Single cone filter and tank/Sunrise Metal Shop
14x16 Sugar Shack, Sugars, Blacks, some Silvers