Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 7th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 125
Photos: 7
Thanked 29 Times
  View my photos  
Default the ditch!!!

I start the day off by going to work. Feed the people that need fed. Go home, let the dogs outand grab some plywood to cover my freshly split cottonwood. Go to town to put my check in the bank and the head to the sugarbush....my dads farm. I start in down the long lane and see that it has been cleared of snow (this is rare). Continue down the lane and find my dad trying to pull a tractor out of a ditch with another tractor. So i help him. We get it out and we have coffee.
I go home and start to work on my sugar project and wait for the wife to come home. She calls and says 'im on my way'. Nice. She was coming from our baby shower.
Cant wait to see her and the baby stuff......
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT YOU ASK!!!!
DITCH!!!
she was TRYING to back her car into a drive that can house three cars wide.
Today was a rescue mission!
125 taps 3/16 tubing on gravity
Old February 7th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I can relate, somehow the oldest boy when backing up in the turnaround in my driveway decided he would turn the opposite direction and didnt realize there 5 feet of unplowed lawn there. Its not like you cant tell that its not plowed the damn snow is deeper than his car is high.
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 29 Times
  View my photos  

Unplowed lawn is rough terrain
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

Derrick are you going to tell us his mother taught him to drive? Im thinking he was backing out looking over his shoulder and not using his mirrors. Is this the same girl from across the tracks!!
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:07 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexley View Post
...she was TRYING to back her car into a drive that can house three cars wide.
It amazes me at times how few people really know how to back up well. On a farm or with heavy machinery you're going backward almost as much as going forward, often with a trailer attached, so backing up becomes second nature. I didn't grow up on my grandfather's farm, but spent a good deal of time there haying, sugaring, and cutting wood. Working that hard as a kid and teenager turned out to be a great incentive to go to college.

Anyhow, when my daughter was learning to drive, after a few hours of the standard stuff, I took her down to the local middle school and had her drive around for a bit all around the driveway, parking lot, around parked cars, in back of the school, etc. Then I told her to put it into reverse, start driving, and you aren't allowed to put it back into a forward gear (we try to buy manual transmission cars too, which is another whole story) for the next hour. The first 10-15 min were pretty rough, but by the end of the hour she could go backward in and out of any place I asked her to go without hesitation. All her friends on the other hand have a hard time backing out of our 50' straight driveway when they came over to visit.

A few months later when we got 3-4" of fresh snow I took her back down to the school with my truck. Had her drive around in 4-wheel drive for a while to get used to skids and getting out of them, then put it into 2-wheel drive and we really had some fun skidding around. I happened to see the school Principal (who I knew fairly well) at a hockey game a few days later and he says "I was driving by the school on the interstate the other night and some idiot was out doing donuts in my parking lot." I explained that I was the idiot and why, and he said, "I'm bringing my daughter down there next time it snows."
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old February 8th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

Thanks Doc for the trip down memory lane. I love driving backwards with a trailer on. I freak more people out when I show up to a job sight with anyone of my 9 trailers. I start to back up and the homeowner will get behind me waving their arms thinking by making a spinning motion that they are helping. I especially like parallel parking them. My saying is "I can back this thing up a wild cats ***"

I will admit after working all day long hauling dirt with the dump trailer I will come home and forget I don't have it with me and back into the drive way and miss my spot because I'm thinking backwards. OH yea 2 trailers at the cabin I must be abscessed.
Old February 8th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Good stuff Doc. Haynes in all honesty he wouldnt let me teach him it was all momma. I tought my daughter and he seen what was going on and he is afraid of work so he ran to his mom lol. When my daughter got her drivers permit she didnt drive for a bit with her lessons I gave her. She had to learn how to change a tire, change her oil, check all the fluids and where they were all located, then we hit the country dirt roads before graduating to black top.
Old February 8th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 29 Times
  View my photos  

My wife didnt have any formal training. she turned 18 and took her test and somehow passed it. she makes me nervous. good thing she is not on this forum.
Old February 8th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 3000
Photos: 5
Thanked 18 Times
  View my photos  

My wife can not and will not use mirrors! She sometimes makes me turn the car around for her. If she weren't here beside me yesterday, I would have thought she was leading a double life with you!
3000 taps and growing
375 acres of northern Maine mountain
Old February 8th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 9000
Thanked 90 Times
Cube Crash Champion  

I knew there was something different about Chuck but I never would have guessed he was abscessed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thompson's Tree Farm For This Post:
3rdgen.maple (February 8th, 2015)