Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

Default Lunchbox Vacuum Releaser name debate

But it's not a "releaser". Why not call it what it is. Seems like a vacum pump to me.
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Manufacturer

Thanked 3 Times

Hi Wiam,
The name is meant to be descriptive.
It applies vacuum and releases the sap. Hence vacuum/releaser.

Dean
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 680
Classified Ads: 8
Photos: 4
Thanked 44 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiam View Post
But it's not a "releaser". Why not call it what it is. Seems like a vacum pump to me.
Oh yea! Since it's a smaller diaphragm pump than the sap guzzler maybe call it the sap sipper?
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Its a pump not a releaser just like all my vacuum pumps are not air releasers. I just don't think mudding the water is a good thing. Its a good idea and product but truth in advertising is important because you be eaten alive alive when someone misunderstands the product.

Having worked on a product that was patented descriptions are important and must be proven. Words have meaning and somewhere in your application you will need to have the real name like ( self contained insulated sap pump)
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Sorry I find this to be a bit petty, but with maple syrup equipment comes many copies, twist of old designs, new designs with others taking it to a different level and this company comes out with a whole new idea, puts the time, money, effort, testing and marketing into something for lack of better terms "outside the box" or in his case inside the lunchbox I give them an applause and find the name to be appropriate in description. Its a lunchbox, its creates vac and releases the sap in to your collection tank of choice. So Lunchbox vacum releaser explains all of that. Kudos guys for thinking of something different and testing it before it got marketed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3rdgen.maple For This Helpful Post:
foamy (January 28th, 2015), Moser's Maple (January 28th, 2015)
Old January 28th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

NO it pumps it to the tank. You have a friend that makes releasers just wait till someone bacterizes his product with a knock off with a catchy name.
Old January 28th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Exactly correct I have a friend who builds releaser and in no way either one of us offended by the name of this new product. Lifes way to short to be hung up on a name.
Old January 28th, 2015, 05:24 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

Any one that is not into the sport maple sugaring might not be able to place a name with a descriptive item. But if your in the game and someone mentions the name lunch box releaser or lunch box extractor or lunch box vacuum pump you can jump right up off the bench warming activity and tell them what its all about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Sargent For This Post:
3rdgen.maple (January 28th, 2015)
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 110
Thanked 70 Times

This isn't a vacuum releaser. A vacuum releaser doesn't generate vacuum. This does generate vacuum, but the way it generates vacuum by pushing on a diaphragm doesn't require a separate releaser.

If you think the people buying it are generally too uninformed to know what a diaphragm pump is and why it wouldn't need a releaser... OK whatever - come up with a different name like "sap sucker" or something. It seems like it's hoping that someone knows that there is such a thing as a vacuum releaser and they need one.

A releaser is generally a component separate from your vacuum pump that you can replace independently. This is not.

My first assumption when I heard it was powered by compressed air was that it was a venturi-powered vacuum generator paired with a mini releaser... But a venturi vacuum source can go way higher than 15-20" of vacuum.

I did show it to a friend who is also a hobbiest and one of the first things I had to explain to him was that no, it wasn't really a releaser... But it's a self contained diaphragm pump.

Market it like that and you will attract people who already know that is the style vacuum system that they want because they don't WANT to have to deal with a releaser - they are currently buying bosworth sap guzzlers for around $600 so this is cheaper and take care of some of the concerns about freezing. Buying this and an air compressor is likely cheaper than buying a sap guzzler and will probably have more luck.

Calling this a releaser is like selling a digital refractometer and calling it a digital hydrometer - sure, it's used for the same thing, but it operates on a completely different principle so it's confusing to people.

2014:
Steam pans on natural gas grill (no rig this year)
34 taps on 3/16 gravity + 1 roadside on a bucket
Hauling most of the excess sap to a bigger producer up the road
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryebrye For This Helpful Post:
Haynes Forest Products (January 28th, 2015), VermontAltitude (January 29th, 2015), Wiam (January 28th, 2015)
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood Sugarworks View Post
Hi Wiam,
The name is meant to be descriptive.
It applies vacuum and releases the sap. Hence vacuum/releaser.

Dean
Looks like a useful product for a small woods. But still not a releaser.
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200