Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old December 8th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Fuel problems

I need some help. We are a bit baffled at the metal shop and are just scratching our heads. Where is the water in the gas coming from? Its not one motor either. The line shaft motor and the one gas generator both have issues with water. Today Things started running like crap, looked in the tank and sure enough brown rusty water. Same thing last week with the line shaft motor. Drain them, look in tank and they are rust free, heck one motor is just a few months old. We run NON ethanol high octane gas only and have sourced it from different gas stations and still we are seeing this problem. We can go a couple weeks and be fine then all of a sudden we have rust colored watery gas in the tanks. There is a moisture screen in the fill port and its not very often we see any water upon fill up. Motors are inside. Fuel stored inside. I cant wrap my head around this. Is there something in NON ethanol fuel now that would cause this? I may switch back to 87 octane with 10% ethanol and try a fuel additive for a couple weeks and see what happens. Open for any help.
Old December 8th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

Have you looked at how the transport gas cans are being stored. I cant believe its sucking in moist air throughout the day and building it up in the tank. I would consider pumping fuel out of a larger container and not sucking it from the bottom of the tank.
Old December 9th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 350
Classified Ads: 2
Thanked 13 Times
  View my ads  

I have heard a lot of people having the same problem my guess is people are not buying enough of the non ethanol fuel and the tanks are getting water in them some how from sitting .just a guess
3rdgen.maple (December 9th, 2014)
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:10 AM
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin bucket View Post
I have heard a lot of people having the same problem my guess is people are not buying enough of the non ethanol fuel and the tanks are getting water in them some how from sitting .just a guess
This thought ran across my mind as well. Especially since its not happening on a consistent basis.
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Ethanol free gas is pure gasoline, alcohol or ethanol will absorb water from the air while pure gas will not. Sounds to me like the water is coming from the wholesaler since you have switched gas stations. I doubt if there is more than one or two wholesale suppliers supplying non ethanol gas to retailers in your state. I would let both retailers know what's going on and switch to a high octane ethanol blend until they fix the problem. Don't give up on pure gas though. Pure gas will save a ton of money on repairs and engine replacements in the long haul.
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 350
Classified Ads: 2
Thanked 13 Times
  View my ads  

Not sure how much gas you use but napa sells VP in 5 gallon cans it pure gas I run it in my saws and small engines but it dosnt come cheap I also use sea foam or marine stay-bil it seam to help haven't had problems with water or carb issues
sugarsand (December 9th, 2014)
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

would it help to run the equipment dry at the end of every shift. Its a PITA to time the usage to the amount you put in. Might help isolate the source of the moisture.
Old December 9th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Stop by the local airport. 100 octain and NO ethanol. I think that some stores are selling "non ethanol" by label only. Do you have a way to test your gas to know? FAA regulations currently ban ethanol in aviation fuel.
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
Old December 9th, 2014, 11:05 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapaholic View Post
Stop by the local airport. 100 octain and NO ethanol. I think that some stores are selling "non ethanol" by label only. Do you have a way to test your gas to know? FAA regulations currently ban ethanol in aviation fuel.
Despite the name, there is a fair amount of lead in Aviation 100LL (low lead), which could lead to fouling of the plugs. Despite the fact that there is no ethanol in the fuel, you can still always drain a bit of water from the sumps during preflight.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 124 Times

This has been getting to be a more common problem, but like xyz said, it is mostly with the blends. It seems that even real gas is not what it used to be, so we have also had better luck with the stabil, especially the marine grade. Most of mine are 4 strokers, so have had no engine problems, but it is doing a lot of damage inside the carbs, and we are repairing a lot more metal small engine tanks than ever.

Maybe Dr. Tim can answer whose rule it is, (federal or otherwise) but our local airport says they can't sell gas, unless we tell them it is for a plane. She says "lie to me sir", what are you using this for?

Really great wife
16 x 28 timber frame sugar house
33" x 9' home made 8" raised flue with a brick arch
Wes Fab 7" full stack
Tuthill A20, Bernard double
J D 70, J D 450e, Farmall H, TW2HD, Orange saws
Waterboro chrome, twine and a big hammer
Really great wife