Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:08 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default 2nd favorite time of year

sorry folks, but just got a text from one of my college hunting buddies. I'm starting to feel my ADD kick in now. here's the text so you folks can enjoy or hate

I wake up with the sounding of the alarm. It's pitch black in camp and I fumble around looking for my flashlight. I find it and click it on thinking to myself "so it begins". Unlike most years I'm not teaming with excitement, instead this morning feels like a mandatory duty, almost job like. I get dressed and visit with the others of where we shall go. I can sense the urgency and excitement in their voices as we get. "where you headed Jake" I reply i don't know, but don't let me hold you guys up. Off they race to the wheelers. It's cool enough this morning that you can see the haze of the exhaust pushing in front of the wheeler head light. Off they go down the road, and I say quietly out loud "go kill a big one" I walk over to my old reliable wheeler and pull the cord....nothing, I pull again, nothing ...."come on ole girl don't fail me now, we have to have at least 1 more trip". I pull the cord, and an instant wiff of exhaust comes to my nose. I start down the road, no idea where I was going. I then find myself strangely drawn to the spot, no MY SPOT!!!! where I've been seeing and chasing an elusive trophy for 3 years now. I arrive to where I'm going to park and start the walk to my spot, the whole time thinking something seems strangely different about the walk. I get to where I've hung my camera now for 3 years, 3 years I've seen my trophy at my spot, but I can't find the tree, and can not find the particular place I enjoy sitting. I mill around in the dark fro what seems like 10 minutes looking for the spot, but with disgust and frustration I can not find it. I now settle for a different place, thinking to myself of why I bothered getting out of bed. I sit down and wait for day to break. As I sit there and start to see the forest appear in front of me I quickly realize what was once a mighty hemlock and hardwood stand is no more. Too dark to tell, but seems that MY SPOT has been cut.
It's daylight now and my worst fears are shown to me. My plush green and warm brown forest has been replace with this dark brown/black silt cause by the skidders taking the heart and sole of my favorite watch in the woods. I can't help but feel like an unwanted guest in an alien land that has turned her back to mother nature, and the sportsman gods. Yes there are a few trees, but nothing that I would even cut for camp wood.All that is really left are rock ledges, and blind valleys between the out croppings. With just shear boredom I blow on my grunt tube......nothing, not surprised. So I blow on it again...what's it going to hurt??? then I hear it, a low soft reply. Great!!!! ****ing great, another hunter. I get ready to yell to one of my fellow hunters, but then I see this brown sheen off a corner of the ridge. was that??? is that??? could it be??? so i call again, and like old college buddies catching up I hear an instant reply. this time more assertive. Then I see a white flip. THE TAIL!!! where's the head. I scan back and forth looking. "if i was in the spot i usually sit i would see this buck" i speak to myself. then as the sportsman gods heard me he raises his head. ah the amazing beauty of his white ivory glistening with the fall morning due and the sunlight shining over the ridge in which he is so regally standing on. I now catch the smell of running creek water, and decaying fall leaves. "Hello Mother nature" I say. this is MY SPOT, and this is MY BUCK. 3 years, 17 photos, 24 watches, roughly 72 hours devoted to this spot and it comes down to this. seems anticlimatic, but we haven't reached the climax of this tale yet. I have this calm nervousness come over me. it's this simple......it's either his day or mine, and only time will tell. Well as fate would have it, what I wouldn't been able to see in previous years due to being a dense forest, is now and open country for an unobstructed shot. I pull my gun to shoulder, place my left elbow and my left knee. I take a deep breath, pausing for a split second to do one last gut check. Then it happens, like so many times I have played in my head. the shot, the flinch, the run, and then the fall!!!!! "He's Mine" i yell, "**** yeah" i say in celebration. "thank you" I pray to the sportsman gods. I walk up to my trophy, and notice a strange stump. a cherry stump. I walk 10 paces to my left, and there it is!!!!! MY SPOT! to sit......wait a minute if I would have found this, I wouldn't have had a shot at this beautiful trophy. Instantly my excitement turns to humility as I lay down and embrace my fallen foe and once again give praise to mother nature and the sportsman gods!!!!
Come on brother, time to get pumped up!!!!! It's time to get serious!!!!

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moser's Maple For This Helpful Post:
3rdgen.maple (October 14th, 2014), BobU (October 14th, 2014), regor0 (October 11th, 2014), sweeter creations (October 15th, 2014)
Old October 10th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 57 Times

Jake, I hope in this imaginitive tale that you leave something running for your camp neighbors down the road. Good story, got the hunting juices flowing.

Sugarsand
Lots of help from my wife, Pat and
Son, Pete
D&G filterpress
16x32 canner from 3rdgen
600 custom RO
2015 Mahindra 70hp
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 55
Thanked 8 Times

That was a good story. It was fun to read - sounded like it came right out of Field and Stream. I'm ready to go hunting now.
Stretched barrel evaporator with 2 x 3 pan
55 Taps on Buckets
Thinkin' about next year!!

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb329/RCMaple/
Old October 14th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Great read Jake Thanks!

This is one of my favorites this time of year.

This was just sent to me..... i felt compelled to share this with you all. The names have been changed to protect the innocent and laugh at, uh, er..well uh, just read it!

A group of friends went deer hunting and paired off in twos for the day. That night 3rdgen returned alone, staggering under the weight of an eight-point buck. " where's Jake Moser?" the others asked. "Jake had a stroke o' some kind. He's a couple of miles back up the trail," the successful 3rdgen replied. " You left Jake layin out there and carried the deer back?" they inquired. "A tough call ," 3rdgen nodded " But i figured no one's gonna steal Jake!"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xyz5150 For This Helpful Post:
3rdgen.maple (October 14th, 2014), adk1 (October 15th, 2014), Moser's Maple (October 14th, 2014)
Old October 14th, 2014, 07:55 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 46 Times

Default Thanks for the Story

I'm getting excited about deer season here too, your story will be running through my head tonight, and hopefully I will have a "hunting dream".