Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old October 5th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2300
Thanked 15 Times

Default Tig welder

What brand and model of welder are people using for homebuild maple equipment? I'm looking to purchase a small tig welder for welding 18 or 20 gauge stainless sheets. What would be the best machine for this?
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 124 Times

Sorry I don't have the specific answer to your question. Just want to say if you don't have tig welding experience, I'll bet you could find a person in your area who will let you try it and advise you about machines. I have 2 that I use here at work and neither one would be my pick for the job you're doing, but they work for what I do. ( small, quick little welding jobs.) When I try doing a lot of welding, my torch gets so hot I have to stop and lrt it cool off, so I can say you definitely need a liquid cooled torch. They stay cool for a longer job.

Good luck,

Really great wife
16 x 28 timber frame sugar house
33" x 9' home made 8" raised flue with a brick arch
Wes Fab 7" full stack
Tuthill A20, Bernard double
J D 70, J D 450e, Farmall H, TW2HD, Orange saws
Waterboro chrome, twine and a big hammer
Really great wife
Old October 9th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2300
Thanked 15 Times

I am looking at the inverter tig welders vs transformer machines. I have welded with different transformer machines but never a inverter. For thin gauge stainless I think I can get away with a air cooled torch. I'm looking into thermal arc 201ts and also looked a little at a longevity 200i machine. I want a inverter because the machines are a lot lighter so they are more portable. What machines are people running to build pans ,tanks and other maple equipment?
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 116 Times

Default Tig welder

I had a miller synchrowave 350lx that I bought ten years ago to weld chromoly tubing for race cars. Worked great and is really expensive, sold it and bought a little 205 everlast that has stick,tig,plasma cutter built in. I emailed the company and offered $1500 shipped. So I think you could get one a little cheaper. It works really good, I like it better than the miller.
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/pr.../powerpro-205s