Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:17 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Reminder

Clean your chimneys, check your fire extinguishers and replace those batteries in the smoke detectors. Firewood burning season is right around the corner. Never can be to safe.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3rdgen.maple For This Helpful Post:
DrTimPerkins (September 23rd, 2014), Lake View Maple (September 22nd, 2014), Like Minded Farmer (September 23rd, 2014), Toad Hill (September 24th, 2014)
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Thanks Darrick. :)
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 600
Journals: 26
Photos: 5
Thanked 46 Times

Good advice 3rd , I cleaned the chimney and stove , checked the gaskets on the door of the stove and bought a new extinguisher, tis the the season be safe all.
2014 430 taps on line , new 3x10 D&G drop flue and 25
buckets ,looking to expand again next year if it all goes well
2015 500 taps on line , 110 on vac
1 Old Goat just to keep him busy
My awesome wife Marcinda who lets me buy maple stuff John Deere 790 to do all the heavy stuff
and the Good Lord above ,Amen
Lakeview Blueberries/Maple at facebook
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:43 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

Learned a new trick the other week. Fire extinguisher company came to service an Fire Extinguisher inside the Natural Gas tractor trailer gated area at the mill. After I unlocked the gates I watched the guy tip the extinguisher upside down and hammer on the side all around the bottom with a rubber mallet while he held it upside down. I didn't ask questions but assume the powder must kinda stick together in the bottom and he was loosing it up so it would flow out right if used. Guess I will start that practice on the home fire ext. Soon.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:51 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Journals: 43
Photos: 75
Thanked 87 Times

Ks thanks for the tip, I haven't moved my extinguisher in years! Yeah, I got my chimney brushed, vacuumed and woodstove and pipe all cleaned out over the weekend. I should replace the door gasket though. Moving my wood onto the covered patio this weekend in between bow hunting!
Sap puller
12x20 grim filter canner.
2017 equipment purchased: short bank Wes fab filter press and spring tech micro elite two post ro!
Plenty of hardwood split! May take 2017 off this year...
Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sargent View Post
... I watched the guy tip the extinguisher upside down and hammer on the side all around the bottom with a rubber mallet while he held it upside down. I didn't ask questions but assume the powder must kinda stick together in the bottom and he was loosing it up so it would flow out right if used.
Yes, that is exactly the case. The powder sits on the bottom and can cake up tight if not loosened up occasionally. This is part of our monthly inspection for fire extinguishers, along with checking the pressure gauge (tap it lightly with a finger to make sure it isn't stuck), and visually checking inside the nozzle to be sure something hasn't crawled up there (or been put there by kids) to block it.

First year of college (many moons ago) I lived in a dorm suite. Girls suite was across the courtyard. A room-mate and I were sitting there talking one afternoon. Girl across the way is walking around in common room of their suite. Turns out later we find out she had put bacon she put across the rack of their toaster oven, turned it on, and then went to hop in the shower. A few minutes later we see smoke starting to fill the common room of their suite. The smoke alarms soon go off, and the girl comes running out of the bathroom with only a towel. A few seconds later, in runs the floor mother (graduate student) with the fire extinguisher from the hallway, who opens the door to the toaster oven, letting air into the smoking oven, which means it bursts into flames (with lots more smoke). She aims the extinguisher and pulls the trigger, but can't get the fire extinguisher to work. By this time we'd gotten there, reached around and unplugged the toaster oven, buddy takes the extinguisher from the floor mother (who was yelling at us that it wouldn't work), PULLS THE PIN (which is why it wouldn't work), and puts the fire out within a few seconds. Girl with the towel disappears incredibly quickly (unfortunately.....being 18 we were kind of hoping for a reward ). Still really smokey in there, so we walk out and back to our suite and sat back down again and watch the fire department show up a few minutes later. In any case.....moral(s) of the story....teach your kids how to use appliances correctly, keep a fire extinguisher handy, and know how to use it properly.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

At the county highway department where I worked, all extinguishers had to be inspected and signed off on every month. Part of the inspection was turning each extinguisher up side down and tapping the bottom with a rubber mallet. It was very plain to hear when the powder let loose. The hammer sound went from a dull thud to a sharp ring. Extinguishers in trucks were especially caked and packed, and took several sharp raps to loosen the powder.
Our superintendent was also the local volunteer fire chief, and one day, we had fire extinguisher training. He lit a pile of pallets, a tire, a half-barrel of drain oil, etc., and had each of us extinguish it. Boy, was that an education. You wouldn't believe how easily the fire re-ignited after it was "out".
If you have an old extinguisher, try it sometime. It will be a valuable experience.
If you have "safety training" at your company, suggest "Fire Extinguisher Training" as one of the courses. (I doubt the tire and drain oil fires would be doable anymore.)

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:37 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

I agree that being prepared with the right equipment is the best policy. Having a plan is also important. Because we make food you need to have the right fire extinguisher for the right job. Because we have such a diversity of items that can be the cause of the fire its best to be prepared. When I had my fire I didn't know what was on fire when I ran into the building. Once I saw that it was a fire in the finish pans water was my best option. Many operations don't have pressurized water systems so a bucket of sap will knock down a finish pan fire but when it comes to a rafter/roof fire you might knock it down with a powder extinguisher but you better be able to follow it up with water. Remember once you blast your sugar house full of powder from your extinguisher your in for a long day of cleanup. I would recommend you have a CO2 type because they are FOOD GRADE along with Halon.

OH by the way when you put out your finish pans with water they make the coolest sounds as the crinkle into a distorted mass of SS