Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
  #1  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:46 PM
3rdgen.maple's Avatar
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer
 
Location: Altmar, NY
Number of Taps: 2000
Join Date: Oct 2011
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Posts: 6,355
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default maple folklore

I have heard some good ones over the years about predictions on what the maple season is going to be like. Today I heard a new one from an old time sugarmaker. He said he was not tapping this year due to the expected bad season. I was a tad confused how he could predict the season already. He explained to me he bases his predictions on the up and coming season based off the month of Junes hay season. He claims the better the June hay the better the spring sap runs. Apparently he had a bad June hay season.

So in light of the down time I thought it would be interesting to hear some of the maple folklore predictions you guys and gals have all heard over the years. Lets hear what you got.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member
Producer
 
Location: Temperance Michigan
Number of Taps: 1630
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 613
Thanked 128 Times
 
Default

I've found that the best years for sugar concentration follow a dry late summer to fall leading up to leaf drop then a normal winter. A heavy seed crop will drop sugar concentration as well. You have to have the right conditions during the spring and I don't think there is a crystal ball for that.
__________________
2x6 Leader drop flue evaporator my place
4x14 Leader drop flue evaporator at the family farm
no enhancements other than a pre-heater
a bunch of buckets no tubing yet
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Member
Producer
 
Location: Easton NewYork
Number of Taps: 400
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 163
Thanked 45 Times
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
I have heard some good ones over the years about predictions on what the maple season is going to be like. Today I heard a new one from an old time sugarmaker. He said he was not tapping this year due to the expected bad season. I was a tad confused how he could predict the season already. He explained to me he bases his predictions on the up and coming season based off the month of Junes hay season. He claims the better the June hay the better the spring sap runs. Apparently he had a bad June hay season.

So in light of the down time I thought it would be interesting to hear some of the maple folklore predictions you guys and gals have all heard over the years. Lets hear what you got.
Based on this theory I should look for more beer kegs and swimmies cuz we are gonna be flooded clap:
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foamy For This Helpful Post:
DrTimPerkins (July 24th, 2014), Kevin Sargent (July 24th, 2014)
  #4  
Old July 24th, 2014, 06:29 PM
wishlist's Avatar
Contributing Member
Producer
 
Location: Lennon, Michigan
Number of Taps: 900
Join Date: Feb 2012
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Posts: 1,707
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default

Probably not considered "folklore" but 2 years ago my father in law was finishing up tapping some roadsides. Guy pulls up to him and says " big trees have no sap". Well my father in law collected a bunch of sap from those trees and I remember him saying he wished that idiot would drive by while he was collecting. Lol......
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 24th, 2014, 07:43 PM
3rdgen.maple's Avatar
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer
 
Location: Altmar, NY
Number of Taps: 2000
Join Date: Oct 2011
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Posts: 6,355
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy View Post
Based on this theory I should look for more beer kegs and swimmies cuz we are gonna be flooded clap:
LOL . I think most around here are on 3rd cuttings so I hope he is right too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 24th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Moser's Maple's Avatar
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer
 
Location: Kirschnerville, NY 13327
Number of Taps: 2156
Join Date: Feb 2013
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Posts: 2,140
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
I have heard some good ones over the years about predictions on what the maple season is going to be like. Today I heard a new one from an old time sugarmaker. He said he was not tapping this year due to the expected bad season. I was a tad confused how he could predict the season already. He explained to me he bases his predictions on the up and coming season based off the month of Junes hay season. He claims the better the June hay the better the spring sap runs. Apparently he had a bad June hay season.

So in light of the down time I thought it would be interesting to hear some of the maple folklore predictions you guys and gals have all heard over the years. Lets hear what you got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy View Post
Based on this theory I should look for more beer kegs and swimmies cuz we are gonna be flooded clap:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
LOL . I think most around here are on 3rd cuttings so I hope he is right too.
since we have had so much rain and low lying fields are so wet many farmers here are still working on first maybe second cutting I hope this theory is wrong
__________________
Jake Moser
Moser's Maple


24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything


www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Member
Spammer!


 
Location: Addison County, VT
Number of Taps: 550
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 163
Thanked 35 Times
 
Default

It's not a theory, and barely even a hypothesis. Its mythology, and there seems to be a great deal of it amongst sugarmakers, especially old ones. Deciding to not tap because you had a bad hay season...that's a new one. I've heard lots of absurd ideas related to sugaring but that might be the craziest.

The most interesting part to me is that someone would claim they would actually not even tap trees. This guy must not be a true sugarmaker because even in a bad year he would still make syrup.
__________________
752 Taps on High Vac.
2.5x8 Intens-O-Fire
3 HP Airtech LR Pump + VFD
Springtech Elite 500 RO
14x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
www.littlehogbackfarm.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to generalstark For This Post:
Wiam (July 24th, 2014)
  #8  
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:29 PM
3rdgen.maple's Avatar
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer
 
Location: Altmar, NY
Number of Taps: 2000
Join Date: Oct 2011
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Posts: 6,355
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalstark View Post
It's not a theory, and barely even a hypothesis. Its mythology, and there seems to be a great deal of it amongst sugarmakers, especially old ones. Deciding to not tap because you had a bad hay season...that's a new one. I've heard lots of absurd ideas related to sugaring but that might be the craziest.

The most interesting part to me is that someone would claim they would actually not even tap trees. This guy must not be a true sugarmaker because even in a bad year he would still make syrup.
Yep I agree and thats why I called it folklore. Hes got around 3000 taps and says when cost outweighs production he out for the year. I found it humorous as how he bases the upcoming season production but guess I wont judge too much. Aside from that lets hear some of the ones you have heard or anyone else. I got a few more off the wall ones but Im saving them till others chime in.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Member
Producer


 
Location: Maine
Number of Taps: 400
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 472
Thanked 18 Times
 
Default

3rd you should offer to tap those trees this year oh wait you would need an ro then.
__________________
350 taps
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 500592 For This Helpful Post:
Moser's Maple (July 24th, 2014), wishlist (July 24th, 2014)
  #10  
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:27 PM
3rdgen.maple's Avatar
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer
 
Location: Altmar, NY
Number of Taps: 2000
Join Date: Oct 2011
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Posts: 6,355
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500592 View Post
3rd you should offer to tap those trees this year oh wait you would need an ro then.
NO I wouldnt I have a sugarhouse full of evaporators Besides Im not afraid of a little hard work so I dont need one.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 

The total tap count of our members is now: 2,753,283

Copyright ©2009~2019 Sugarbush Info