Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:46 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default maple folklore

I have heard some good ones over the years about predictions on what the maple season is going to be like. Today I heard a new one from an old time sugarmaker. He said he was not tapping this year due to the expected bad season. I was a tad confused how he could predict the season already. He explained to me he bases his predictions on the up and coming season based off the month of Junes hay season. He claims the better the June hay the better the spring sap runs. Apparently he had a bad June hay season.

So in light of the down time I thought it would be interesting to hear some of the maple folklore predictions you guys and gals have all heard over the years. Lets hear what you got.
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1630
Thanked 128 Times

I've found that the best years for sugar concentration follow a dry late summer to fall leading up to leaf drop then a normal winter. A heavy seed crop will drop sugar concentration as well. You have to have the right conditions during the spring and I don't think there is a crystal ball for that.
a bunch of buckets no tubing yet
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
I have heard some good ones over the years about predictions on what the maple season is going to be like. Today I heard a new one from an old time sugarmaker. He said he was not tapping this year due to the expected bad season. I was a tad confused how he could predict the season already. He explained to me he bases his predictions on the up and coming season based off the month of Junes hay season. He claims the better the June hay the better the spring sap runs. Apparently he had a bad June hay season.

So in light of the down time I thought it would be interesting to hear some of the maple folklore predictions you guys and gals have all heard over the years. Lets hear what you got.
Based on this theory I should look for more beer kegs and swimmies cuz we are gonna be flooded clap:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foamy For This Helpful Post:
DrTimPerkins (July 24th, 2014), Kevin Sargent (July 24th, 2014)
Old July 24th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Probably not considered "folklore" but 2 years ago my father in law was finishing up tapping some roadsides. Guy pulls up to him and says " big trees have no sap". Well my father in law collected a bunch of sap from those trees and I remember him saying he wished that idiot would drive by while he was collecting. Lol......
Old July 24th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy View Post
Based on this theory I should look for more beer kegs and swimmies cuz we are gonna be flooded clap:
LOL . I think most around here are on 3rd cuttings so I hope he is right too.
Old July 24th, 2014, 07:47 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy View Post
Quote:
LOL . I think most around here are on 3rd cuttings so I hope he is right too.
since we have had so much rain and low lying fields are so wet many farmers here are still working on first maybe second cutting I hope this theory is wrong

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Spammer!

Number of Taps: 550
Thanked 35 Times

It's not a theory, and barely even a hypothesis. Its mythology, and there seems to be a great deal of it amongst sugarmakers, especially old ones. Deciding to not tap because you had a bad hay season...that's a new one. I've heard lots of absurd ideas related to sugaring but that might be the craziest.

The most interesting part to me is that someone would claim they would actually not even tap trees. This guy must not be a true sugarmaker because even in a bad year he would still make syrup.
Springtech Elite 500 RO
14x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
www.littlehogbackfarm.com
The Following User Says Thank You to generalstark For This Post:
Wiam (July 24th, 2014)
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalstark View Post
It's not a theory, and barely even a hypothesis. Its mythology, and there seems to be a great deal of it amongst sugarmakers, especially old ones. Deciding to not tap because you had a bad hay season...that's a new one. I've heard lots of absurd ideas related to sugaring but that might be the craziest.

The most interesting part to me is that someone would claim they would actually not even tap trees. This guy must not be a true sugarmaker because even in a bad year he would still make syrup.
Yep I agree and thats why I called it folklore. Hes got around 3000 taps and says when cost outweighs production he out for the year. I found it humorous as how he bases the upcoming season production but guess I wont judge too much. Aside from that lets hear some of the ones you have heard or anyone else. I got a few more off the wall ones but Im saving them till others chime in.
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 18 Times

3rd you should offer to tap those trees this year oh wait you would need an ro then.
Moser's Maple (July 24th, 2014), wishlist (July 24th, 2014)
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500592 View Post
3rd you should offer to tap those trees this year oh wait you would need an ro then.
NO I wouldnt I have a sugarhouse full of evaporators Besides Im not afraid of a little hard work so I dont need one.