Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old July 7th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default 10 Companies that control our food

Thought I would share this with everyone, its absolutely amazing to see all of these big brands owned by only 10 companies. http://www.convergencealimentaire.info/map.jpg
Old July 8th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Producer

Thanked 45 Times

Default Eggs

Looks like a majority of our nations Eggs are in a couple of baskets
Old July 9th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2000
Thanked 5 Times

We need a flow chart like that to show who owns our politicians
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times

I'm not sure what the point here is........yes, of course many companies have different brands and product that they sell. You could put a big circle around costo and then branch it off to over 500 different products(one being pure maple syrup) that is bottled and packaged under their name.
Old July 9th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayerl View Post
I'm not sure what the point here is........yes, of course many companies have different brands and product that they sell. You could put a big circle around costo and then branch it off to over 500 different products(one being pure maple syrup) that is bottled and packaged under their name.
Branding a generic product like ketchup and buying a company like Heinz is not the same. SBI is proof that anyone can make maple syrup but not everyone can gain market share like a Maple Grove Farms has for instance. The point here is how so many of these companies have been absorbed into just a few super corporations is amazing and a bit scary to me. With 10 super corporations owning all of these once flourishing small companies makes me wonder what the future holds....
Old July 9th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Lets just take maple syrup the product that we all strive to make. I decide to make it for fun and profit. I make and willingly sell 250 gallons to the wholesaler of MY choice. They buy it from me at an agreed to price. I decide to except that deal because I don't want to retail it even though I could make more money that way. The wholesaler then repackages my syrup and sells HOPEFULLY at a higher price to a bigger wholesaler and they do the same all the way up the chain until someone pours it onto their pancakes. Every one of these transactions was done voluntarily and with profit as the motive. Just because at the end of the food chain there is a large multinational corporation doesn't mean its a bad thing. Now I'm only talking about the USA market. I also believe that most if not all the smaller company's that make up the conglomerate are stand along entities that wouldn't come crashing down like a house of cards. I just don't see a conspiracy here.