Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Just plain crazy but I do understand

About a month ago I decided to get a new mower. Paid for it at Lowes and they said in will be in in a few days. I waited a week and called and they said it hasn't showed up at the warehouse but when it does it will ship from there in 7-10 days. Being the patient kind of guy I am I called back in 5 days and Judy said NOPE not yet. I waited another 5 days and called and Judy said because of the popularity of the item the factory was having a hard time keeping up and it could be another week. Being the patient kind of guy I am I wait a few days and then decide I need to speak to Judy's manager, about this time is when most family members decide its time to take a walk because dad is going to uses his Dale Carnegie "How to win friends and influence people skills After explaining for the 50th time that YES I did pay for it at the store and YES I did plan on picking it up when and if it ever comes in and yes I do have the sales receipt with the supper secret code on it but its hard to read because the sales slip is now starting to turn black because of age The manager says "LETS SEE" MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I see we have 4 of them at the southlands store and 11 in Colorado springs

I drive over to the OTHER store and pick it up and get it home and everyone is happy until it stops running after 10 minuets and has to cool down before it will start............YES I put the oil in it BOB! So after a few days I bring it back to Lowes and they bring out a new one and say here you go have a nice day. I say wait here is the bagger because I kept mine. The guy says keep it we don't need it. He tells me that they will call the manufacture rep and they will give them credit for the mower and just crush it in the compactor "Have a nice day" Wait Wait your telling me that your going to take this brand new used for 10 Min $450.00 mower and crush it YUP along with every other piece of equipment that gets returned because of a bad plug, scratch or was opened and into the dumpster it goes.

I understand why this has to be but it sure makes me want to scream

Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; June 2nd, 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:48 AM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Welcome to the world of corporate America!! They will make ( save ) more money destroying it than if they hired someone to fix it. Lol What really gets my goat is the fact we allow the big box store to treat us like crap but yet we go back for more. Why??? Because we think we are saving money. lol If i treated my customers like that or sold some of the garbage the big chains sell i would be out of business.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xyz5150 For This Helpful Post:
Bryan Ex (June 3rd, 2014), foamy (June 3rd, 2014)
Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times

Oil ? Check/ Gas ? Check /Common sense? Not so much, lacking !!! What in the world were you thinking Chuckee? $450 for a mower? You have friends right here on SBI who would of sold you a brand new nice mower for waaaaaayyyy less with free delivery and setup. Heck, my new Husky practically mows by itself. Light, plenty of power, and with the Stihl decals I plastered on it the neighbors are in awe! :)
Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:53 PM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

My Husky mower came with decals. Traded the $785.00 Honda even for the husky.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 124 Times

There are times when it doesn't add up, but sometimes these things are produced for such a small amount it would cost more to ship it than cruch it.

My brother worked for a major wax and rubbing compound company. They had 2 lines of product. One that was sold to the body shop jobbers and one that was sold at retailers like napa, Walmart and any other place where folks by there car stuff. The only difference in the 2 products was the retail stuff had a flip cap and the jobber products had a screw top. He asked why they don't put a flip top on all of it. They told him they would lose too much money due to the fact that the flip top cost 3.5 cents. He asked why 3.5 cents was such a big concern. Later, when he moved up in the chain of command, he learned that the flip top at 3.5 cents was more money than the product, the bottle, the label and the advertising combined. They explained that if you figured in the several thousands of percentage of markup that they have to apply to the extra .035, it would put their product out of the competative range on the shelf.

So when the chinese stamp out mowers, don't be surprised if they have under 100 invested in a 450 rig.

Really great wife
16 x 28 timber frame sugar house
33" x 9' home made 8" raised flue with a brick arch
Wes Fab 7" full stack
Tuthill A20, Bernard double
J D 70, J D 450e, Farmall H, TW2HD, Orange saws
Waterboro chrome, twine and a big hammer
Really great wife
Old June 2nd, 2014, 08:52 PM
Dealer

Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Minded Farmer View Post

So when the chinese stamp out mowers, don't be surprised if they have under 100 invested in a 450 rig.
I agree but we are talking about a retailer not a manufacture doing the crunching here. Remember every time a product is touched in the chain ( manufacture, distributor and retailer ) a markup is assessed. Lowes is not grossing more than 20% on Chucks mower as the retailer.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:22 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Its still about the bottom line and Lowes doesn't have a repair facility so to send it out to get it repaired and then resell it used wouldn't pay. If it leaves the market by way of the landfill then a new full price one will enter the market place.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 124 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz5150 View Post
I agree but we are talking about a retailer not a manufacture doing the crunching here. Remember every time a product is touched in the chain ( manufacture, distributor and retailer ) a markup is assessed. Lowes is not grossing more than 20% on Chucks mower as the retailer.
Agreed, however the credit or repair reimbursement would come back up the chain from the manufacturer, so we end up with the retailers getting the word "don't bother, we only have 100.00 in this thing so we won't be paying another 100.00 for a repair."

I agree with the thread name that this whole idea is crazy. The general public will whine like a girl when they find out I marked up a part for their car by 20%, so imagine the fits they could get when they learn that many of the products they buy for $8.99 only cost .10 to produce and is marked up 9000%.

Really great wife
16 x 28 timber frame sugar house
33" x 9' home made 8" raised flue with a brick arch
Wes Fab 7" full stack
Tuthill A20, Bernard double
J D 70, J D 450e, Farmall H, TW2HD, Orange saws
Waterboro chrome, twine and a big hammer
Really great wife
Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:22 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishlist View Post
Heck, my new Husky practically mows by itself.
But it doesn't have a seat either...LOL
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:26 PM
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ex View Post
But it doesn't have a seat either...LOL
My guess is Chuck has 10 of these welded together and mounted on the front of his polaris.