Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 475
Photos: 1
Thanked 48 Times
  View my photos  
Default Charcoal

Didn't know where else to post this...
Anybody know the why part of charcoals prohibition as a filter? I believe it fits under the adulteration prohibition but don't know why. Seems much like filter aid.
Background as it relates to us: At our seasons end there is usually a batch of crummy tasting (and smelling) syrup that we don't like to throw away, but have in years past. Honestly don't know if its buddy or metabolism. Our trees do it right as the buds begin to swell, but before they break open. I tried diluting the syrup with a quart of permeate per gallon syrup, put in charcoal from water filters and slow boiled in a separate pan til it was again syrup brix. Takes us two complete filterings to make it clear again afterward, but the smell is mostly gone then, and the taste is palatable maple syrup. Not great taste, but not objectionable either. NOT FOR SALE, or even for give away, we just use it for us. It also wrecks two prefilters, but we just throw those away because they are getting thin anyway at seasons end.
We support and abide by the rules, just don't get this one. I feel like not posting this because I figure I'd get "flamed", but wanting to know....
take care, Mark
Poly tanks, cage tank, small trailer, JD2720
Several extra SS pans and propane burners
Single cone filter and tank/Sunrise Metal Shop
14x16 Sugar Shack, Sugars, Blacks, some Silvers
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Just diluting it and reboiling will reduce the off taste. I dont think the charcoal is creating that effect.
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 475
Thanked 48 Times
  View my photos  

Thanks for the reply. I read a study from 09 by Drs. van den Berg, Perkins, and others , that examined boiling longer and to a higher temp, then diluting back to syrup brix, and that works to a great degree. We will try that at next seasons end.
I'll try to put the link to it here: http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/off-flavor2.pdf
take care, Mark
Poly tanks, cage tank, small trailer, JD2720
Several extra SS pans and propane burners
Single cone filter and tank/Sunrise Metal Shop
14x16 Sugar Shack, Sugars, Blacks, some Silvers
Old April 27th, 2014, 09:24 PM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

The off-flavor you are experiencing at the end of the season, especially if it is associated with the buds swelling, is almost certainly "buddy." Metabolism mostly affects early and mid season syrup, often light-colored syrup, and is almost a musty-type flavor. The procedure you linked to will reduce metabolism to some degree, but won't greatly affect the buddy off-flavor.

Filter aid helps to remove niter and other solids, but is relatively inert and thus doesn't change the color, flavor, or chemistry of the syrup, so it is allowed. Charcoal filtering will definitely change the flavor and color of syrup, and will change the chemistry of the syrup, which is why it is a form of "adulteration."
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrTimPerkins For This Helpful Post:
Bryan Ex (April 28th, 2014), Ecnerwal (May 2nd, 2014), maplemark753 (April 28th, 2014)