Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:13 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Photos: 2
Thanked 10 Times
  View my photos  
Default What would you do?

Has anyone had trouble with neighbours? I had told my neighbour repeatedly not to tap trees on my property, but this year he is back and has 3 taps on trees well onto my property. I am also concerned that the taps he has put in where not done properly, he taps trees the are way to small as well as a drill bit way to big and drilled almost 4 inches deep. How would you deal with a neighbour that keeps pushing the limits after being told to "stay off"
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

Sappy,
If you have enough trees for yourself, three trees is not a lot of sap to cause a dispute between neighbors.
However, if the relationship is already too far gone, I would observe what time he collects, and beat him to it by an hour each day. If he complains about that, explain that they are your trees to begin with.

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 984
Photos: 31
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Sounds like maybe a property line dispute? Perhaps he is convinced they are on his land. Is there a clear border and has it been recently surveyed?
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:44 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default Sappy Mapleman

Cant fix stupid - go piss in his buckets and maybe he will loose intrest in sugaring -foamy
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:22 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

just take the taps off and set then next to the tree is one way to do things, but if it's a line dispute then let it go for the season, get a surveyor in spring/summer and find out the true line, and then approach your neighbor about trees in question

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 2800
Thanked 16 Times

If you're sure they are on your side I would pull the taps and bucket and stack them nicly on his side of the property line. I wouldn't do anything serious and start a war with him. Syrup season is only about 4 weeks (give or take) but hes your neighbor 365 days a year. I took a neighbors deer stand down and stacked i nicely with all pins and straps in place that he had put 20 yards on my side of the fence. When I called to tell him i'd found it and had taken it down he said it wasn't his (yeah right). The next day it was set up on his side and stayed there all season and hasn't had it on my property since...that I know of anyway.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:19 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 25
Thanked 14 Times

There was a time I would not have, but times have changed and I've opted to change with them rather than be the guy who gets stepped all over.

If the line is clear, I'd be out there with the roll of no trespassing signs tomorrow. Any equipment would be removed & set on the other side of the property line, directly below a no trespassing sign. And yes, that does imply being willing to live up to the "will be prosecuted" part of the sign, which can be more expensive than it should be.

If the line is arguably not clear I'd go with Moser's suggestion to leave it be for now (damage to trees is done) and get it surveyed and mark it to a fare-thee-well (which would include no trespassing signs at least in the area that this joker is abusing,) and a good deal of paint on line trees as well. I'm going to make a stencil the next time I mark line trees (I overdo these things as a matter of habit and inclination - I was raised to know where they are, keep them clear, and inspect them regulalrly) so they are marked by name or at least initials, not just colored spots.

I have seriously considered running a fence though my woods. I'm not there yet, but you have to be on the look out for folks trying to acquire your land by pretending it's theirs [Adverse Possession] for 15-20 years (depends on state and may have various other requirements, but it's still on the books in most Eastern states, at least.) I did actually run sisal baling twine (cheapest twine that would work, and it's not plastic so it rots nicely when it gives up) along my line trees when I was getting the lines cleared out. If the corners and/or line trees are clear, you could do that - I think it was $27/9000 feet, but that was nearly 20 years ago, so the price may be up a bit.

One interesting tweak in that law is that if you are not particularly hostile-minded but suspect that someone is up to Adverse Possession, your best defense may be to give them permission (in a nice registered-mail or at least return-receipt-requested letter so you have a copy and the receipt filed away as evidence) since permission makes the possession non-adverse. Check with a lawyer though - the laws have a common root but are all slightly different. You may well have a similar thing in Ontario since it came from English Common Law as far as I recall.