Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 350
Photos: 56
Thanked 4 Times
  View my photos  
Default end of season 2014

What a weird year with the sap flow. Weather couldn't get right. It ran stopped and then ran again over the Easter weekend. Ended up boiling down 1165 gallons of sap into 27.75 gallons of syrup of 292 taps. I cook in about 130 gallon batches and the color of the product was all over the board with the different batches. Great time though with great friends. Everything finally cleaned and put away. Ick, what a slow process. Already looking forward to making improvements for next year. Will be posting pic later this spring.
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Hungry Beaver I remember when I got into the sport of making syrup I did it over a 1 week span of time. I did it for the fun of it and didn't think about the entire sugaring season but only the time I had. Then the obsession started and I started to look at more taps bigger equipment MORE, MORE AND MORE..................MORE DAM N IT. Like a person that takes up jogging to lose a few pounds and next thing their wearing spandex and look like Karen Carpenter. I now spent 45 days full time and that wasn't the entire season. I feel your pain.