Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Go Back   Sugarbush.Info > News & Events > Maple Research & Technology

Old May 13th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Leader Dealer
Dealer

Number of Taps: 3500
Thanked 52 Times

So my question is what really makes these "high brix" membranes different. I have went to 24 -25 brix with 3 different make of membranes. 1st try passed sugar fairly bad. The next membranes worked ok. No sugar passing but extremely low flow. This years membranes worked the best. Decent flow rate, no sugar passing, but probably at the limit of water removing I guess?? I felt flavor was still good at 24 but maybe i am wrong. Seems if I go higher with that brix, I need more flat pans to get enough flavor ? Anyone else trying middle ground so to speak, like 20-26 brix??
15 frame clear filter press
Busch claw pump
Honda rancher
Old May 14th, 2018, 09:25 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 683 Times

The approaches are slightly different depending on the manufacturer. The Lapierre HyperBrix is essentially two machines built together. The first stage (in our case, 4 membranes) is basically a regular RO that will bring the sap up to a fairly decent concentration, which is fed to the 2nd stage -- the HyperBrix side. This operates at a considerably higher pressure to get the concentrate to much higher levels. As for the membranes, we tried 3 different combinations of membranes last year and 4 different combinations of membranes this season to check on operating parameters (sugar and mineral passage, flow rates, etc.).

Evaporators to process such high Brix concentrate are specialized. Our rig is a 4' x 12', with a 4' backpan and a large, 8' frontpan, the opposite ratio of a standard evaporator. They are optimized less for boiling rate, but more so for color/flavor formation. Even so, the systems are quite energy efficient. We used 0.137 gal of kerosene to produce a gallon of syrup, but think we can get this down below 0.10 gal with some tweaks.

There are options in-between these high Brix systems and low-concentrate systems. Lapierre produces the 50:50 system, but I don't know a lot about it.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:18 PM
Leader Dealer
Dealer

Number of Taps: 3500
Thanked 52 Times

I talked with a D&G rep who said they have a machine running 900 psi making near 40 brix. So the membranes are made to handle much higher pressure. I would guess there is still some R&D going on.
15 frame clear filter press
Busch claw pump
Honda rancher
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Researcher

Thanked 683 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Evans View Post
I would guess there is still some R&D going on.
No doubt. You just don't want to couple one of these hi-brix RO machines to a standard evaporator.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old June 6th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Researcher

Thanked 683 Times

https://www.uvm.edu/uvmnews/news/pro...ation-weekends
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old June 7th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 167 Times

Dr Tim, great article on the news release. I have one question after a short statement.
Back in 2011, my last year without an RO I had to sell 1150 gal of sap to another producer, With maple weekend coming he saved to sap. My first delivery to him was 8 days before, then the next 3 more days in a row. On each load he concentrated it to 8% and sent it to an operating bulk tank where he cooled it to 30F. On the 8th day he pumped that to his evaporator and made some beautiful Medium Amber (this was before the new grading system).
My question, when you concentrated to 34-35% what temperature did you cool it to?
Thanks,
Dave Klish
www.cnymaple.com
Old June 7th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Researcher

Thanked 683 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Flats View Post
My question, when you concentrated to 34-35% what temperature did you cool it to?
Concentrate at 35 Brix turns slushy at 22 deg F, so we kept it at 23 deg F. Not much going to grow in it at that temperature. We made the lightest syrup we've ever made all season long. Towards the end we were shutting off the refrigeration for a while to try to get some dark syrup.

We do think the cold temperature of the concentrate may have slightly reduced our energy efficiency in the evaporator a bit. We're planning to add a preheater next year to bring the concentrate temp up a bit before it hits the backpan.

Not sure if it was just the cold temperatures we stored the concentrate at, or other changes (sap filtering configuration) we made this year, or a combination, or maybe partly the season (many people made light syrup this year). In any case, it all had nice flavor.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old September 28th, 2018, 07:01 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 10,500
Classified Ads: 1
Thanked 32 Times
  View my ads  

This is a really cool thread. Dr. Tim, what is the conductivity of the permeate out of a Hyperbrix?
Thank you to the maple community forums!
www.bissellmaplefarm.com