Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 3500
Thanked 7 Times

Default How to make candy ?

Was wondering if and how anybody makes candy without using a candy machine. Never done this before but need to. What temp. do you bring the syrup to? Do you simply boil it to a certain temp. and then pour it into the moulds? Any info. would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 4600
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 9
Thanked 39 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

We make many hundreds of pieces of candy each year without a machine - but I don't know how! The Boss (Mom) makes all our candy. I do know she boils it to 240 F, lets it cool for a bit and then pours it over the moulds and spreads it into the cavities.
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Classified Ads: 1
Journals: 1
Photos: 22
Thanked 6 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Ive made candy before, and some has turned out okay, others, not so much. I usually take it to about 240 or alittle more, depending on you B P of water. Take it off and stir until you see a light streak coming to form and then pour into moulds. Depending on batch sizes, the first and last bit that you pour wont work out , but save it and remelt it. The problem ive had is that I stirred to much, or not enough, when not enough, it is still the brown dark color of maple, and it is sticky and not really hard, but too much, and it turns to sugar in the pot, and then sets up.
One more thing, I was told never to make and pour candy on a cloudy day. I think it has something to do with the Barometric pressure, and the way the syrup boils and candy sets up
2002 Cummins Sap Hauler
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkFarmMapleSyrup View Post
I was told never to make and pour candy on a cloudy day.
I dont like to be inside unless its cloudy ( raining ) or dark. So i guess i wouldn't be a good candy maker than.
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Here are two good links with step by step instructions for making maple confections;

http://www.ontariomaple.com/pages/va...aple_products/
http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/pubs/confections/index.htm

- Bryan
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default The only thing that I might add

I feel that temp is the most critical thing. A good digital thermometer is essential.I do not make alot of candy but when I do ,I do a small batch for practice to try to get the stirring right. then do my regular batch. I know some guys that make cream then nuke it,give it a little stir and pour it into molds and they say they have great success -foamy
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:00 AM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times

here is a bump to revive this thread, because I am asked often on my process of making candy. although this is not my process, this is the process that I teach beginning sugar makers and general public that wants to make maple candy. I have over a 90% percent success rate from the classes, and a little less when just explained, so I've been working on the descriptive side of things, and you are going to be my guinea pigs if you so chose. I hope this helps some that want to start making candy, and I'm always available to answer any questions. This is taken off a new hand out that I am working on to present to my classes

Molded Maple Sugar (Maple Candy)
Boiling
Heat your syrup in a 6 or 8 quart pot (for ˝ gallon batches) to 30-32 F (18 – 19 C) above the boiling point of water. Immediately take off heat and pour into separate smaller 1.5 quart sauce pans ( normally 3 for ˝ gallon batch), place into a water bath being careful you don’t spill any water into your cooling syrup.
Cooling
Cool your syrup to 160 – 200 F. Cooler temperature makes a softer candy and a higher temperature makes a firmer candy***
***WARNING: the lower the temperature the harder the syrup is to work with.
Prep
While your syrup is cooling take this time to prep. If you have candy molds now is the time to get them ready. If you don’t have molds get some wax paper and lay it out on a clean working surface, this is what your will be pouring your maple candy onto. If you want to make shapes use a lubricated cookie cutter and place on top of wax paper to pour your maple candy into.
Stirring
Once your maple syrup is cooled begin stirring, once again your will hear the “snapping” sound that the syrup makes. For hotter temperature (200 F+) you can use a hand mixer, drill with stainless steel beater. Anything below that temperature I would not recommend using the hand mixer unless you don’t like your hand mixer and are hoping for a new one (you will more than likely burn up the mixer). For those of you that do not want to use your hand mixer or make your maple candy the way your Grandmother made (with a wooden spoon) at this point you may use a paint stirrer (Wal-Mart $5.95) and a corded or cordless drill.( please remember these are not food grade and should not be used for sale to the public) Stir maple syrup until it sets up in your pan, yes, I said stir it until it sets up in your pan. At this point put on your stove at low to medium heat and stir gently with your spoon until your mixture has completely melted. Your consistency should resemble a loose pancake batter. If it is foaming, or has a bunch of air pockets the mixture is too hot and should be stirred until it has cooled down. Now pour your mixture into your molds, wax paper, or into your cookie cutters.(please spray, or wipe with oil before pouring into these) Walk away and wash all your equipment. In about 10 t0 15 minutes pop out your very first batch of what we now call maple sugar candy. Enjoy and try not to eat too much!

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:58 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Moser do you have a conversion chart to 6,500 ft..........................OH never mind
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:21 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times

i just had to post here cause i couldn't stand seeing haynes name under my thread about candy any longer

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Moser's Maple For This Post:
Bryan Ex (January 18th, 2014)