Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 28th, 2018, 12:44 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400

Default maple candy yield

I'm a bit confused by the yield I got from my first big (to me) batch of maple candy using my sunrise machine. we did a 3 gallon batch, and got approx 12 lbs of candy. is this normal? I know there is some that came out after cleaning the machine with additional hot syrup, which we will use in the next batch, but the numbers just don't seem correct to me. we took our syrup to 32 above the BP of water, then cooled to 180 before running into machine.

What should a normal yield be per gallon of syrup? i saw a post abusing 1 gallon of syrup should yield 8 lbs of candy, but that seems way off from what we got. I'm asking because we're trying to price the candy correctly.

FWIW the candy turned out great, nice and creamy yet still melt in mouth.
Old April 29th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Great question that I can't help with unfortunately. Others Like Moser's Maple may be able to. I don't do much with soft sugar or cream (butter in Canada) but do know the numbers well for granulated (stirred) sugar. 4 liters ,approximately a gallon, makes 7 1/2 pounds of sugar discounting for any 1/4" crumble.

- Bryan
Old April 29th, 2018, 06:51 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 589 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

My yield on a 3 gallon batch is approximately 22-23 pounds depending on how fussy I get scraping scraping sides of the machine and how much I I try to squeeze out of the machine. Be honest I normally do multiple 3 gallon batches, and bring my yields closer to an average of 8 lbs per gallons.
My first question would be what density is your syrup. I know that this gets people rialed up, but a slight under density syrup will yield less in pounds.
Are you fully scraping down the sides? Are you leaving the valve open until no more candy mix will come out. What temp are you running the jacket at.
Really surprised you are get away with 32 degrees above boiling point with out vacuum cooling. When I use to go that low the candy was way to soft.

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old April 30th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moser's Maple View Post
My yield on a 3 gallon batch is approximately 22-23 pounds depending on how fussy I get scraping scraping sides of the machine and how much I I try to squeeze out of the machine. Be honest I normally do multiple 3 gallon batches, and bring my yields closer to an average of 8 lbs per gallons.
My first question would be what density is your syrup. I know that this gets people rialed up, but a slight under density syrup will yield less in pounds.
Are you fully scraping down the sides? Are you leaving the valve open until no more candy mix will come out. What temp are you running the jacket at.
Really surprised you are get away with 32 degrees above boiling point with out vacuum cooling. When I use to go that low the candy was way to soft.
I really think I must have made a gross error in weighing the output. The density is something I immediately thought of and checked a sample from the same batch and it was on, so really the only explanation is that I didn't record the weight of some before it was packaged up or moved to another location to cool.

I don't know what vacuum cooling is, could you explain?