Sugarbush.Info

Sugarbush.Info (http://www.sugarbush.info/forums/)
-   Maple Confections (http://www.sugarbush.info/forums/maple-confections/)
-   -   maple candy yield (http://www.sugarbush.info/forums/maple-confections/5468-maple-candy-yield.html)

miboss April 28th, 2018 12:44 PM

maple candy yield

I'm a bit confused by the yield I got from my first big (to me) batch of maple candy using my sunrise machine. we did a 3 gallon batch, and got approx 12 lbs of candy. is this normal? I know there is some that came out after cleaning the machine with additional hot syrup, which we will use in the next batch, but the numbers just don't seem correct to me. we took our syrup to 32 above the BP of water, then cooled to 180 before running into machine.

What should a normal yield be per gallon of syrup? i saw a post abusing 1 gallon of syrup should yield 8 lbs of candy, but that seems way off from what we got. I'm asking because we're trying to price the candy correctly.

FWIW the candy turned out great, nice and creamy yet still melt in mouth.

Bryan Ex April 29th, 2018 10:53 AM

Great question that I can't help with unfortunately. Others Like Moser's Maple may be able to. I don't do much with soft sugar or cream (butter in Canada) but do know the numbers well for granulated (stirred) sugar. 4 liters ,approximately a gallon, makes 7 1/2 pounds of sugar discounting for any 1/4" crumble.

- Bryan

Moser's Maple April 29th, 2018 06:51 PM

My yield on a 3 gallon batch is approximately 22-23 pounds depending on how fussy I get scraping scraping sides of the machine and how much I I try to squeeze out of the machine. Be honest I normally do multiple 3 gallon batches, and bring my yields closer to an average of 8 lbs per gallons.
My first question would be what density is your syrup. I know that this gets people rialed up, but a slight under density syrup will yield less in pounds.
Are you fully scraping down the sides? Are you leaving the valve open until no more candy mix will come out. What temp are you running the jacket at.
Really surprised you are get away with 32 degrees above boiling point with out vacuum cooling. When I use to go that low the candy was way to soft.

miboss April 30th, 2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moser's Maple (Post 69116)
My yield on a 3 gallon batch is approximately 22-23 pounds depending on how fussy I get scraping scraping sides of the machine and how much I I try to squeeze out of the machine. Be honest I normally do multiple 3 gallon batches, and bring my yields closer to an average of 8 lbs per gallons.
My first question would be what density is your syrup. I know that this gets people rialed up, but a slight under density syrup will yield less in pounds.
Are you fully scraping down the sides? Are you leaving the valve open until no more candy mix will come out. What temp are you running the jacket at.
Really surprised you are get away with 32 degrees above boiling point with out vacuum cooling. When I use to go that low the candy was way to soft.

I really think I must have made a gross error in weighing the output. The density is something I immediately thought of and checked a sample from the same batch and it was on, so really the only explanation is that I didn't record the weight of some before it was packaged up or moved to another location to cool.

I don't know what vacuum cooling is, could you explain?