Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old December 21st, 2016, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Photos: 1
Thanked 60 Times
  View my photos  
Default Kitchen sugar mishap

I have made granulated maple sugar before, in fact it is all we use now. We do not buy cane sugar anymore. It all started when my wife left me home alone with my 13 year old who loves everything about maple, noticing that the sugar container was low we brought up a gallon and decided to make sugar. Everything went fine until we had it in the mixer. The mixing caused the batch to boil over even though it was removed from heat. Of course I had turned away to clean the pan that we boiled it in. Even turning off the mixer it still boiled over. Not wanting to waste what was left in the mixing bowl we continued mixing. We were left with two products, fine powdered brown sugar and a darker harder sugar that draped over the bowl and counter. We scraped the spilled stuff up with a knife and have it on a plate. So here are my questions.

1. Is there more sugar content in what spilled over being on the top. It definitely seems sweeter and harder. If so will this affect the sweetness of the sugar?

2. Why did this happen after it was removed from heat? Do I need to let it cool to a certain temp before mixing?

3. (Unrelated) it seems to take a long time to bring the batch from 215 to say about 230 and it wants to boil over. Then it seems to rise rapidly up into the 260 range at a nice boil with out much trouble of boil over. Why?
2014 2 X 6 smokey lake raised flue and a new shack
2015 330 taps on gravity and 50 bags
6 kids 4 smaller sap suckers
Very understanding wife
Old December 21st, 2016, 12:08 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

1 I don't believe the sugar content would be different. What spilled over is usually darker and turns into a harden lump. I think it tastes sweeter because it is more dense than the fluffy sugar.

2 if I remember correctly from Steve Childs class it is called the heat of crystalization. This will cause it to rise up at that point in the stirring. Color usually looks light as it happens then darkens after.

3 when cooking any confections you have to watch closely and possibly turn heat down when around 220. Defoamer will help but nit always stop a boil over at this point. I find I can turn heat back to high about 225.
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
The Following User Says Thank You to Wiam For This Post:
Grazer (December 21st, 2016)
Old December 21st, 2016, 12:24 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 325
Thanked 75 Times

Once it starts to boil until about 225 it seems to be a smaller bubble and foams more and probably reduces evaporation rate. After 225 with the larger bubbles it does not seem to foam as much and you can go with high heat. It seems that there is something that boils off in the 220 to 225 range and is more prevalent in syrup from later in the season as this foams more. After reading on here I lowered my temp to 250 from 260 plus for sugar and it seems to be more granular. If you let it cool a little is should help some with the foaming up when mixing.

2013 - 136 taps 2 X 6 homemade evap., homemade water jacketed canner

2014 - 262 taps on bags and tubing to pails
Homemade hood and preheater
2015 - 335 taps 7 inch short bank filter press, 100 taps on 3/16 and 3 shurflo pumps
2017 Smoky Lake 2 x 6 drop flu pan set, hoods, water jacketed bottler and concentric exhaust system
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob B For This Post:
Old December 21st, 2016, 08:04 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
1. Is there more sugar content in what spilled over being on the top. It definitely seems sweeter and harder. If so will this affect the sweetness of the sugar?

2. Why did this happen after it was removed from heat? Do I need to let it cool to a certain temp before mixing?

3. (Unrelated) it seems to take a long time to bring the batch from 215 to say about 230 and it wants to boil over. Then it seems to rise rapidly up into the 260 range at a nice boil with out much trouble of boil over. Why?
LOL... you are going to get as many opinions on this as there are folks making sugar on a regular basis.

1 - Sugar content not affected. Its the moisture that changes. Anything boiled over add to your next fresh batch of sugar PROVIDING it does not taste burnt at all.

2 - When the crystallization process starts it will foam up some and release a burst of steam. I am guessing you did not have much room to the top of the pot?

3 - Can't explain the difference in the foaming action but would guess it has to do with moisture. Lots of defoamer to get things going then once it's settled it's full heat till ready to stir.