Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Go Back   Sugarbush.Info > Maple Production Information > Maple Confections

Old March 21st, 2016, 01:12 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 20
Thanked 6 Times

Default My first attempt at maple candy - is it supposed to be crunchy?

I made my candy and it came out crunchy. It looks good but it's crunchy, not creamy. Did I cook it too long? Can I fix it or make sugar out of it? If so, how?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
My first attempt at maple candy - is it supposed to be crunchy?-img_20160321_1247521_rewind_kindlephoto-86774756.jpg  

Last edited by DiamondGal; March 21st, 2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old March 21st, 2016, 03:49 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

That looks like perfectly marketable maple candy. To make a smoother candy you may have to adjust your boiling temp, and point of agitation temp. Back in the day I shared more information but have others claim my candy as their own and oh there was that article that a respected maple expert that doesn't post on here shared my temps, points of agitation, and process and claimed it as his own research and forgot to give any acknowledgement to me. So under some well respected advisement I no long share as freely. I'm sorry a few may have ruined this for you diamond gal. Maybe there are others here that can help you achieve the smoother candy you desire.

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old March 21st, 2016, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 222
Journals: 7
Photos: 7
Thanked 117 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Nice looking candy. No open voids.
Maybe it is the picture but it looks like you used a darker syrup. What grade did you use to make it?

I tried once to make maple candy, did not go anywhere near as good as yours did. Good job.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook
Old March 21st, 2016, 08:58 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 620
Thanked 150 Times

Boy there should be lots of on line info and book info on recommended temps and cooling and agitation. I agree that your candy looks dark but that doesn't mean its a bad thing. light syrup generally sugars up better then late season dark syrup.
I boil to about 245 F
cool to about 200F or less.
(I use a machine)
Then agitate (mix) and pour into the molds.
Regards,
Chris
Old March 21st, 2016, 09:11 PM
Producer

Thanked 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
Nice looking candy. No open voids.
Maybe it is the picture but it looks like you used a darker syrup. What grade did you use to make it?

I tried once to make maple candy, did not go anywhere near as good as yours did. Good job.
Thank you so much! My kids came home from school and ate most of it. I made another batch and this time boiled to 242 and cooled to 175, stirred until it set in the pot. Then reheated it until it was smooth and then poured into molds. It was something I read on this site. This time it came out not as hard but still not as creamy as I remember maple candy that I've bought at farmstands. Perhaps they added something to their candy. I might try it again - there are many methods to try that's for sure.
Oh, and I have no idea what grade syrup it is - this weeks? LOL. I don't have any equipment except the candy thermometer and trial and error. I'm not selling anything this year, as it's our first time and we're doing it for fun and for syrup...and candy.
Old March 21st, 2016, 09:13 PM
Producer

Thanked 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
Boy there should be lots of on line info and book info on recommended temps and cooling and agitation. I agree that your candy looks dark but that doesn't mean its a bad thing. light syrup generally sugars up better then late season dark syrup.
I boil to about 245 F
cool to about 200F or less.
(I use a machine)
Then agitate (mix) and pour into the molds.
Regards,
Chris
Thanks Chris, I did find some advice on here after reading again and tried some different techniques. The next batch, I might try a different method - there are lots of them on here and other websites to try.
Just like chocolate chip cookies - just keep trying recipes until you find the one that you like. Thank goodness I was able to melt the maple rocks that were leftover with some more syrup for the best batch.
Old March 21st, 2016, 09:15 PM
Producer

Thanked 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moser's Maple View Post
That looks like perfectly marketable maple candy. To make a smoother candy you may have to adjust your boiling temp, and point of agitation temp. Back in the day I shared more information but have others claim my candy as their own and oh there was that article that a respected maple expert that doesn't post on here shared my temps, points of agitation, and process and claimed it as his own research and forgot to give any acknowledgement to me. So under some well respected advisement I no long share as freely. I'm sorry a few may have ruined this for you diamond gal. Maybe there are others here that can help you achieve the smoother candy you desire.
Thanks Mr. Moser, but I'm not selling this candy - just giving away and eating. I did find some advice you had posted previously so tried some of that for my most successful batch of maple candy today - thank you! It is still not as soft and creamy as I remember maple candy that I have purchased, but I'll keep trying.
Old March 21st, 2016, 09:40 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 620
Thanked 150 Times

I would say that if you really want melt in your mouth and or hand candy. Then boil it to a lower temp. cool it even more and then agitate and place in molds.
You will be getting closer to fudge or stiff cream. (sometimes called fondant) Shelf life is very short like hours, days. but it will be very very melt in your mouth creamy! Try using the lightest of earliest syrup you have made.
Regards,
Chris
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 116 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGal View Post
Thanks Chris, I did find some advice on here after reading again and tried some different techniques. The next batch, I might try a different method - there are lots of them on here and other websites to try.
Just like chocolate chip cookies - just keep trying recipes until you find the one that you like. Thank goodness I was able to melt the maple rocks that were leftover with some more syrup for the best batch.
http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/pubs/confections/

Lots of information here.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:18 AM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

This is how I make creamy maple candy. Mosers Maple ...products - maple sweets

The best tool I have found for making CREAMY maple candy that has a shelf life is my visa card!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xyz5150 For This Helpful Post:
Moser's Maple (March 22nd, 2016), RHale (March 22nd, 2016)