Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 12th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 315
Photos: 93
Thanked 128 Times
  View my photos  
Default Sugar Storage Containers for Retail

I want to add maple sugar to the list of things to make and sell this year and I'm wondering what is the best way to package. I've looked at the shaker bottles but I've also considered using glass jars or a container with a clear see-through top. I'm a fan of showing off what is being sold so being able to see the product, in my opinion, is important.

Also, for those that have sold sugar - do you have some sort of tamper-proof seal on your container?

Thanks!

Water Jacketed Bottler, Hood, and Finish Pan by 3rdgen.maple
2x4 Hybrid Hobby with Autodrawoff
315 taps on 3/16 gravity and a handful on buckets
5" Filter Press by Daryl
14' x 20' Sugar Shack
Home-built RO
Officially caught the sugar bug

http://www.pottercreeksyrup.com/
Old January 12th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

I sell sugar mostly in three different containers - all of which are glass. Small one comes from the Dollar Store and is a small shaker meant for spices with a fake metal top that can be opened to different sized holes. Medium size I use a restaurant style domed top sugar shaker and large size is a glass canister (type with the metal band that holds the lid and jar together with a clip on one side). Restaurant shakers I get from a commercial kitchen supplier and the larger canisters I get from the local hardware store when on sale. Small and medium sizes I seal using Glad Wrap and the canister I use a tamper proof band I get from my local dealer. I have tried all the different "cling wraps" and find the Glad to be the least likely to break if someone gives the jar a good shake. I stretch it across the top of the jar before putting the lid on and then trim any extra off with a razor blade after the lid is screwed on. Repeat customers can buy "refills" which I just package in suitably sized zip lock freezer bags but they do not get left on a shelf somewhere unattended. Dollar Stores are a good place to go looking for ideas for sure. Try out all kinds of containers and compare how much each will hold to give you a nice price range but be aware this is very cheap made in China glass. Often a good bump will break out the entire bottom and if the glass breaks the sugar can not be safely salvaged.
RHale (January 13th, 2016)
Old January 13th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 620
Thanked 150 Times

Have sold it in several packages. Small zip lock bags with 4 oz. Did those for years. Just did not seem to be presented as well.
So recently I started using 8 oz short glass jelly jars with gold canning lids. I like the look. I can get about 5 oz of sugar in each jar. Then I use the same shrink seal plastic band for the safety seal. Sold a buch of these at the last event. I do have a recipe for maple whip on the jar too. And if you have some of the whip made and they sample it they tend to buy the sugar.
I have those at $5.00 retail. So about $1.00 per oz.
Regards,
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Sugarmaker For This Post:
RHale (January 13th, 2016)
Old January 13th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

What about presenting both. I would think a heavy duty Zip lock bag with a nice label on it piled neatly on the table next to the jars at a slight discount. If the jar is $2.00 offer a $1.50 discount for the BULK packaging. There is something comforting about picking up a bag that allows you to feel the true weight of the products and feel it.
Old January 13th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 315
Photos: 93
Thanked 128 Times
  View my photos  

Is it an absolute must to have it be an air tight seal no matter what the container to prevent the sugar from clumping? Seems logical to me but I'm wrong plenty of times

Chris - Is the shrink seal plastic tough to find and use? Is it sized by the bottle/lid size or does it come with the jar you purchase?

I like the idea like Bryan Ex and Haynes mentioned about using zippy bags for a refillable purchase. I've even thought of something like the bail top jar from the link below. Would be nice presentation and ultimately sealable... and check it out Haynes - stainless locks!

200ml/7 oz. Round Jar with Bail Lid | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Water Jacketed Bottler, Hood, and Finish Pan by 3rdgen.maple
2x4 Hybrid Hobby with Autodrawoff
315 taps on 3/16 gravity and a handful on buckets
5" Filter Press by Daryl
14' x 20' Sugar Shack
Home-built RO
Officially caught the sugar bug

http://www.pottercreeksyrup.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to RHale For This Post:
Haynes Forest Products (January 13th, 2016)
Old January 13th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Rhale I like those type containers I have a few in the pantry for sugar, flower, Pasta, powdered sugar and the list goes on.

I believe most people have all sorts of decretive containers and would rather get the contents. Now If your presentation jar is good people are more likely to buy a full container that might be etched with "Maple Sugar" on it and also get a bag cheaper for refilling.

Which brings up how do they make brown sugar is it sugar with molasses mixed in with it. could you do the same with maple syrup. Get all your robust syrup and keep cooking it and adding sap until its thick dark and on the verge of road tar and then mix with maple sugar.
Old January 13th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHale View Post
Is it an absolute must to have it be an air tight seal no matter what the container to prevent the sugar from clumping?
Within reason... No it does not need to be air tight. If you leave your packaged sugar in your car trunk until next weekend and it rains all week long in July it will stick together. I also used to boil sugar to 265 degrees so that it had "creep" like what they look for in contests but it would stick together after sitting for a while. After a discussion with Steve Child's I started boiling to 270 which really helped. Unless exposed to really high humidity a single shake will loosen it all up pretty consistently. The cling wrap I add under the lid only adds to the long term dryness by preventing humidity changes from reaching the sugar. Don't ever package until perfectly cool or it will stick for sure.
RHale (January 14th, 2016)