Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 8th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Consumer

Thanked 0 Times

Default Maple Candy/Fondant Temperature

I'm wondering if any of you go by weight, when reducing the hydration of the syrup?

Rather than using a thermometer and thinking about barometric pressure, I've found FAR more consistent results when I just boil off 20% of the syrup's weight*. It produces a brix value spot-on for what I need -- rather than using temperature and pressure to help indirectly measure when I get to that value. As long as I later agitate properly at the appropriate temperature, I wind up with perfect little candies.

I'm just a hardcore enthusiast who works in small batches, but I imagine you could even do a gallon or more with this method. Since the way the syrup changes in appearance, as it boils, it's pretty easy to see when it's close to ready anyway. I only ever need to weigh it at few times, at that point, before it's perfect.

*Note: This changes slightly, depending on whose syrup I am working with. Obviously the balance of different sugars in the syrup affect the best brix value for making the candies.
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:37 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

quick question
if using a steam kettle to boil your syrup, how would you determine that you've boiled off 20%

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Consumer

Thanked 0 Times

Default Weighing

Hi, Jake. Yeah, if you were making enough to use a steam kettle, then you couldn't. But aren't most producers just using Leader pigs or large stockpots to boil the syrup down? If so, then a 30-kilo kitchen scale would work, I imagine.

As I said, I'm purely an enthusiast, so I'm not boiling down more than a liter at a time. And I'm doing it on an induction burner, so I know my setup is different than a commercial. I was just curious if weighing was a possibility for others.

btw - I ordered some of your maple candy, the other day -- the shipment you sent to Portland, OR. I'm excited to try it.

- Adam
Old January 8th, 2015, 09:34 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

adam
I like your thinking, but also think that picking up 1, or 2 gallons of boiling syrup multiple times to weigh is taking an unnecessary risk that could end up in a spill or even worse a bad burn
with that said if you have a system that works for you, by all means embrace it, and keep doing what works

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 620
Thanked 150 Times

Interesting. Jake has some points about safety. Just be careful. I would just get a good accurate thermometer, seems to work for us. Other factors mentioned too, the syrup and its ability to make candy doesn't care about the temp or the weight. Also the weather can be a factor and it may affect the boiling point but weight on a rainy day may be the same weight on a dry sunny day. But the candy may not come out the same. Interesting though. What if you start with syrup that is either way to heavy or way to light and boil off 20% it may not be where it needs to be to make good candy?? Just some random thoughts.
Regards,
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Sugarmaker For This Post:
jimsudz (January 14th, 2015)