Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:01 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 500
Thanked 0 Times

Default strong oder rubber candy mold?

Hi, Last night I made maple candy for the first time.The candy came out to hard but I think I can figure out how to fix that. The rubber mold was purchased from a very reputable maple eqiuptment ditributor and was not cheap. It was washed with hot soapy before I used it but the smell is still very strong and the candy picked up the flavor.Rubber flavored maple candy not good,yuk! Any suggestions? Thanks Woodroe
polaris6x6 2015 2.5x10 r/f by 3rd gen maple 370 taps 2016 D+G 7x7 press 500 taps
Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:11 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

if using a new mold, or if using a mold that has been out of service for a while I'll draw a sinkul of warm to almost hot water and add 1/4 lb of baking soda per rough gallon of water i used and will let them soak over night. I'll rinse with warm water the next morning and then put them in a cold water soak before I head off to work. when I get home at night I'll rinse once more and then put them in the rack to dry. after use of the molds I'll do a cold water soak for 2-4 hours and then a rinse before I once again put them on the rack to dry. If the molds become sticky.... I'll use a little food grade glycerin in the mold to ease the extraction of the confection

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Moser's Maple For This Post:
woodroe (April 24th, 2014)
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:38 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

I use about the same amount of baking soda and boil them for a little while. They used to come with instructions.
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
The Following User Says Thank You to Wiam For This Post:
woodroe (April 24th, 2014)
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times

How high did you cook the candy to?
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 500
Thanked 0 Times

Default to hard candy

I think to hot but cant tell for sure. I don't have a digital thermometer!
polaris6x6 2015 2.5x10 r/f by 3rd gen maple 370 taps 2016 D+G 7x7 press 500 taps
Old April 24th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Thanked 99 Times

That's what I figured. Rubber molds are not meant for hard candy. They are only meant for soft candy in the 240F range.
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Producer

Thanked 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayerl View Post
That's what I figured. Rubber molds are not meant for hard candy. They are only meant for soft candy in the 240F range.
If you look on the manufacturer's web site. Welcome to Voorhees
They show recipes for hard candies cooked to close to 300. My daughter has made hard maple candies in mine with no problems.
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Thanked 99 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiam View Post
If you look on the manufacturer's web site. Welcome to Voorhees
They show recipes for hard candies cooked to close to 300. My daughter has made hard maple candies in mine with no problems.
Yes making hard candies is done at the hard crack stage which is 300F . Rubber silicone molds are not rated for that High of a temperature. When making hard candies you must use the hard white plastic molds.
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Producer

Thanked 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayerl View Post
Yes making hard candies is done at the hard crack stage which is 300F . Rubber silicone molds are not rated for that High of a temperature. When making hard candies you must use the hard white plastic molds.
Where do you get your info? Molds sold by maple suppliers are made by Voorhees and are pure rubber, no silicone. Read the recipes on Voorhees website that talk of cooking hard candies to 300 degrees and then pouring into rubber molds.

Last edited by Wiam; April 24th, 2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:05 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times

Candy Molds Hard Candy - Cake Art

Candyland Crafts - Hard Candy Molds: Animals

How do I use molds for making hard candy? | Lorann Oils

Flexible Rubber Molds -

Hard Candy Molds
https://www.confectioneryhouse.com/m...rd-candy-molds

Hard Candy | baking911.com
QUESTION: What are the best molds to use?
SARAH SAYS: The best solution is to use silicone molds. These are definitely the way to go. Nothing sticks to them, especially fat-free stuff like sugar. No greasing is ever needed for silicone molds when used with sugar. And, depending on the stiffness of the mold, you can bend them after the sugar is cold, and -- voila! -- they pop right out. I've never seen a silicone mold that *wasn't* slightly flexible.

With a metal mold and a *smooth* plastic one, you will see that the drops on the metal bead up higher than on the plastic. On the plastic, the edges of the drop will smear out slightly, making the drop look like a curved mound. On the metal, the edges of the drop curve under, making the drop look like a little sphere. This tendency of sugar to bead on metal is the same phenomenon which allows it to release. Of course, texture of either surface due to scratching or wear will diminish the effect.

Since surface tension increases(i.e., the tendency to spread and adhere to other surfaces diminishes) as syrup cools, some suggest not molding the syrup right as the pot comes off the fire, but rather letting it cool down a few minutes first. I agree, but in the case of molded candies this could be just superstition. I don't think it'll make that much difference, but it couldn't hurt.

Also, letting the sugar dry for a few hours in an airtight container with a strong desiccant is a good idea. Pure blue silica gel is the best (not the weak kind you get from florist shops, which is a little bit of silica gel mixed with a lot of sand). Second best is calcium chloride. The latter is the same stuff you spread on the sidewalk in the winter to melt the ice. Just make sure it doesn't touch the sugar. Technically speaking, it's "edible", but it tastes awful! Very salty. Also, calcium chloride has a tendency to become dusty. FYI, a good source of silica gel blue in a convenient packaging is at Hydrosorbent Products, Inc. The food-grade calcium chloride I mentioned is made by Dow.

FYI, most hard candies these days are made from Isomalt. This is a miracle sugar (and it *is* sugar, not an artificial sweetener, although it's classified as a "sugar substitute" by the FDA) that drastically reduces sticking problems because it is virtually non-hygroscopic. That is, the tendency of sugar to absorb humidity in the air and turn sticky is virtually non-existent in Isomalt. The humidity has to be in excess of 75% before it will feel really sticky. This also gives hard candies made from Isomalt a very long shelf-life. The one down side is that it is much less sweet than regular sucrose. Check the ingredients on a package of hard candy. The artificial sweetener that's also in there is the tell-tale sign that Isomalt sugar is the main ingredient. The process of making candies from Isomalt differs in significant ways from that using regular sugar, but it's do-able. I've tried it. You just have to add a few drops of some strong liquid artificial sweetener (like the kind you by at the grocery store) to the syrup to bring up the sweetness.

now i realize voorhees has high temp recipes, but high temps with rubber molds=premature break down of a very expensive candy mold. it may work for your daughter and the web site may say it's ok, but they are also in the business to sell product and by giving an avenue to possibly create premature breakdown of their molds guarantees they will keep a turn around of their molds.
ultimately it's your business, your dollar, your product, and most importantly your customers so make your candy in the manner that you feel fits these criteria. me...personally will not put hard candy solution in a voorhees mold, but I'm just a small producer, and a small candy maker with my own opinion

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com