Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 60
Thanked 9 Times

Default Shelf life of Maple Nuts

Okay, I realize that there won't be many with experience enough to be able to answer this question, but I have the faith that somewhere out there is someone who knows.

How long can Maple Nuts stay good, and what is the best method of long-term storage?

I made maple nuts for the first time last night, and made walnuts because I don't like walnuts, and I wanted some left to give as gifts plus sell later. Of course I still tasted them, and have to say, ahem, they were not at all offensive, even being walnuts.

I have cello bags I could portion them out in, a food-saver-type system (not that brand but off the top of my head, can't recall which brand) to store in bulk, freezer boxes, canning jars and freezer space. Any recommendations?

Now I've gotta use the last bit of my syrup on some almonds, to be MINE, ALL MINE!
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Lapierre Dealer
Dealer

Number of Taps: 3600
Thanked 13 Times

Cake,
I made coated peanuts in August. Ended up making way more than I needed. I package mine for sale in celo bags. In 6oz portions. I still have some left and they are as good now as the where when i Made them. Here's what I do. I heat my syrup to 245degs and pour over the nuts , they can be any kind, and then stir till all of the nuts are coated and the syrup is crystalized.I try to stir them until they start to look dry. once this happen I put them on a cookie sheet and place them in the oven for 2 hrs at 150degs. I then take them out and let them cool. Once the are cool I place them in the bags, once in the bags I use a hot sealer to seal the bag.What I have done is I have removed all moisture from the nut and then sealed all moisture out . I f you do this your product will have a long shelf life.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:47 PM
Producer

Thanked 9 Times

Thank you, thank you, Baron!

I took the syrup to about 241 or 242 (thermometer only goes to 240), poured over oven-heated nuts in a laaaaaarrrrrggge ss bowl, stirred til they sugared, stirred some more just in case, spread on 3 large cookie sheets (almost 4# nuts), and cooled. Debated baking them further, but it was getting late, and I was tired. Now I wish I had.

I put some in cello bags for gifts right away, and sealed the rest in a humungo bag w/ the "foodsaver." My oven only goes down to 170'. Think if I bake them in the next day or two, then re-package, they'll last longer?

I didn't know you could heat-seal celo (cello??) bags! Thanks for that! When I get into the vacuum-packed bag, I will portion some out and heat seal them.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Dad boiled when I was a kid; I helped haul wood & sap, taste test from the sides of the pan before he washed it.

2011: 6 taps and a full size hotel pan on a turkey fryer base; got 3 gallons + 7 pints.

2012: 80 taps, with 105,000 & 210,000 BTU propane burners and 2 double size hotel pans. ~25 gallons made

2013: 54 taps so far. Another burner to pre-heat & cut down on boiling time. I like sleep.

I do custom cakes: www.bethscakes.bravehost.com
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
Producer

Thanked 9 Times

Default Followup question...

Do you vacuum your cello bags, or simply heat seal?

Dad boiled when I was a kid; I helped haul wood & sap, taste test from the sides of the pan before he washed it.

2011: 6 taps and a full size hotel pan on a turkey fryer base; got 3 gallons + 7 pints.

2012: 80 taps, with 105,000 & 210,000 BTU propane burners and 2 double size hotel pans. ~25 gallons made

2013: 54 taps so far. Another burner to pre-heat & cut down on boiling time. I like sleep.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:50 AM
Lapierre Dealer
Dealer

Thanked 13 Times

Cake,
It wont hurt to put them in the oven, it can only help. I do not vacuum pack the nuts. just heat seal the cellophane bag. I use an electric impulse sealer from Harbor Freight. Good luck
Old December 23rd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Producer

Thanked 9 Times

Thanks Baron.

I decided at the last minute last night that i wanted to bring some nuts to a meeting at work this morning, and got into the vacuum-packed bag. I think it was a bad idea to vacuum them--I don't know if it normally happens, but a LOT of sugar fell off the nuts, and I think it was from the pressure of the vacuum sealing.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:39 PM
Lapierre Dealer
Dealer

Thanked 13 Times

Cake,
the sugar doesnt normally fall off. the pressure created by vacuum sealing the was more than likely the culprit.
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2200
Journals: 4
  Read my journals

thats what i am betting t was the vacuum sealing..wedo ours in the cell-o bags with a heat sealer.
about 2200 taps
1200 on new Vacuum System
4th Generation Sugarmaker
Got lotsa help from family & friends cuz thats what its about
goin for 700 Gallons this year