Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Go Back   Sugarbush.Info > Maple Production Information > Maple Confections

Old August 8th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals
Default Any big dealers for stirred (granulated) sugar?

Been looking at our local market very closely in the past year and it seems there is a real opportunity for granulated sugar. Most local producers are offering syrup only so we'd like to take the sugar market. Anyone doing a big business in this area or mostly retail sales? We still need to sort out all packaging and pricing but our net challenge will be marketing but any tips or advise welcomed.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2000
Thanked 34 Times

Default sugar

This is by far the easiest product to make , it sells rapidly here in the states. I gallon is about 7 .5 lbs ,we sell it by the pound and also by the ounce. This is easily turned back to syrup and can shipped easier. Mike
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Okay! This helps. Do you sell mostly direct retail or through stores? What is your most successful packaging? Any bulk health food places pick up your sugar?
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Producer

Thanked 34 Times

Mostly retail ( farmers market ) once you start moving this product it goes fast shipping is great,shelf life is outstanding people who fly enjoy the ease of packing ( no broken bottles). Reconstitution is easy just add a little water bring to a boil and syrup again. We don't sell this commercially at this time but know of a few that do. Mike 1 pound package

Last edited by sweeter creations; August 8th, 2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: forgot size
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I was told a few weeks ago by a bulk buyer here in NY that a big maple sugar market has been established over seas and the demand is very high. The fore thought is its going to be a tough order to fill for a couple reasons, the huge crop of light syrup doesnt fill the need, the equipment needed for the quantity that needs to be produced. From what Im told there is quite a few maple farms in Western NY turning all they can into sugar.
Old August 9th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1100
Thanked 3 Times

Last I knew , Bascoms had piles of it ready to go ?
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Yeah but that lines there pockets not the producers trying to turn a bigger profit margin, plus from what I understood the end user was after western NY maple sugar for whatever reason I dont know. Probably just an established connection there I would guess.
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:49 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

About 4-5/Maybe 6 years ago there was an article in the NH Weekly Market Bulletin/Ag paper= that had a story on Bascom's and the sugar mill there. Said they wre producing about 30,000# a week and if you ever see in the upper used equipment area sometimes there are pallets and pallets of sugar destine for China=writing on outside of boxes.

They will turn syrup into sugar with a 3 BBL min was the last i knew. Can't remember the amount per # they would charge you though.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:37 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Been doing some cold calls for maple sugar and pretty surprised at the positive response and big profit margins available. Seems many local producers don't do much with granulated sugar and if they do it's basically a dumping ground for messed up confections and off flavoured syrup. Sugar has just become our new best friend!

- Bryan
The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan Ex For This Post:
regor0 (March 26th, 2014)
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 450
Thanked 0 Times

Default maple sugar

Are there any large wholesalers that buy it-if so what's the price per pound? I read on one post that someone had been cold calling places and receiving positive feedback. What sorts of places, like bakeries and restaurants? Did you have to "pitch" the product at all or did you just say that you had maple sugar and they knew the positive benefits already and were immediately interested