Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:41 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 18000

Default maple mrshmallow

I wanted to see if anybody attended the seminar by Ruth Goodrich at LEME. They were passing out samples of maple marshmallow at lunch Saturday that she made. I wanted to try some and wondered if anybody had the recipe?
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

NY Maple confections notebook has the recipe. I believe it is available online.
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:28 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Never tried it but this is the one I have

Ingredients
4 envelopes unflavored gelatin (one box)
3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups cornstarch (or powdered sugar)

Directions
Line 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper, be sure the sides are covered with the paper. Lightly oil it then generously coat with cornstarch or powdered sugar. Fairlight suggests using cornstarch if you plan to store them for any length of time.
Put 3/4 cup of water into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin into the water and set aside to let soften
Put sugar, maple syrup, salt, and 3/4 cup water into a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Once the sugar is dissolved, cook, without stirring, until mixture registers 238º F on a candy thermometer, about 9 minutes.
Using a whisk attachment on your mixer, start to mix the gelatin. With the mixer on low, slowly add the hot syrup to the gelatin mixture. Remember that stuff is 238º F so be careful!
After you have all of the hot syrup mixed in, gradually raise the speed to high. Beat until the mixture is very stiff, about 11 minutes.
Pour into the prepared dish and smooth with a lightly oiled spatula. Leave uncovered until firm (about 3 hours but overnight is ok).
Sift cornstarch (or powered sugar) on a cutting board. Turn the marshmallows onto the board. Dust a pizza cutter or knife with cornstarch and cut them into 1 inch squares (bigger or smaller if you want).
Toss the squares in cornstarch (or confectioners’ sugar). Be sure they are well coated. They will be very sticky if they aren’t. Store in an airtight container.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 222
Journals: 7
Photos: 7
Thanked 117 Times

I sat in on the seminar.
She showed us how to make Maple Marshmellow Fudge.

All that was in it was maple syrup and marshmellows

I do not have my notes handy right at the moment to give you all the details.
They would be kind of vague anyway.
She tends to work and make things with out measuring stuff. kind of off the cuff so to speak.

Basically you boil the syrup just like you would be making maple candies once at the right temp, which I would have to look at my noes for, you throw in a bunch of marshmellows. This is the vague part. She added 7 or 8 and she guessed that it might have been 1 1/2 pints of syrup.
You let that sit for a few minutes for the marshmellows to start to melt and get really soft.
It might have been 10 minutes.
Then you start to stir. Slowly you don't need to whip it. Stiring might have lasted about another 10 minutes. It had turned to the whites cloudy look and you start to feel the gritty sugar on the bottom of the pan with the spoon.
Then pour into a small dish, she used what looked like a 9x9 glass dish. Let it set up for a bit and cut and serve.
It wasn't too bad.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Maple fudge is probably the easiest of any maple related recipe. Heck I thought you were looking for maple marshmellow recipe. I put up a maple fudge recipe in another thread to look at. Bring syrup to 240, remove from heat add just about any thing you want, peanut butter, chocolate, butterscotch, marshmellow, (I have used fluff) stir the stuff in and pour into dish. The amount you add to the syrup is more about taste preference than it needing to be exact. Less you add milder that flavor and more pronounced the maple will be. But the more you add obviously the more it takes from maple flavor but it does make the fudge remain a softer longer and not dry out as well.
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 18000

Thanks for the info. I tried the recipe with the gelatin and the marshmallows turned out ok, but not much maple flavor. I also tried the the way Dennis suggested, and the flavor turned out great, but did not set up. I will have to try again.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Lapierre Dealer
Dealer

Number of Taps: 3600
Thanked 13 Times

If you want to make maple fudge, use the fudge recipe on the back of the Marshmallow Fluff container. Dont use syrup use sugar.