Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 25
Thanked 7 Times

Default 2014: Slow Start in SE Indiana

We had 25 taps that were placed at the very end of January which was the last time we had a substantial thaw. So far, we have only collected about 7-8 gallons of sap. Not nearly enough to boil.

I was beginning to think that the taps were drying up, so I tapped another two trees today, and those aren't running either. If this was the first year I tried my hand at tapping, I'd think there was something wrong with my method, but alas, I remember the sap flow we had last year. But that was 2013, and this is 2014.

We're on a north facing slope - still 3-6" of snow pack in the woodlot. So perhaps that has something to do with it.

So far, a very disappointing start to the syrup season. Around these parts, syrup season typically ends around the second week of March. Wondering if Spring is going to come late this year, or if we are just going to go right from Winter to Summer.

SH