Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old September 30th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 15
Thanked 12 Times

Default Are they wild?

I'm not a bee keeper too many bears around here. But I do have a garden and we see bees all over our garden daily. My question is are they wild? We live in the woods 15 to 25 miles from the nearest towns. The farms in our area are mostly potato farms. We do have one cranberry farm within 5 miles. Other than that I can't think of any farm that would use bees near us??? and I didn't think the potato growers used them?? I'm sure there are hobby keepers here and there. There seems to be different kinds of bees coming to our garden some look like typical honey bees some like little bumble bees, others look like tiny honey bees, and some more like a fly dressed as a bee than a honey bee. So just wondering who our little friends are? thanks Jay

North Central Wisconsin 25 miles north of Rhinelander in the town of Sugar Camp
Old October 3rd, 2018, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 45 Times

A lot of hard to answer questions, but i will try at a couple.
All honey look about the same and about the same size. Anything for different is probably so kind of wild bee and there are many.

Now this isn't a 5 or 10 minute thing. Watch the bees and when one is loaded up nectar, pollen it will fly kind of straight up and go straight to it's hive. By watching several you should get an idea of the general direction that the hive is,,,,,,,,, BUT there may be bees from more than one hive, so some may go one direction and other another direction.

Old-timers to me,,,,,,, I'm 71,,,,,,, said that was a way to locate bee trees, move in that direction and watch for bees going over head and direction they are going and listen for the buzzing of the hive when you got close. May take you a few days,,,,,,,,
2010 Built a sugar shack using used tin,,, now got a roof over me
2009 and before cooking out side
2008 bought my piece of land
1972- 2008 cooked as work permitted
1972 Mom and dad made some syrup in kettles for first time
Old October 4th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 15
Thanked 12 Times

Thanks Sugarbush
Next year I'll look for the direction of the bees travel and see if I can track down a hive. and that leads me to one more question how far do they travel ? I had heard up to 5 miles? We had our killing freeze already here so the garden is done for the year. The loons are starting to group up on the lake now so winter is on the way. Fall colors are peak or 90% great..............beautiful time of the year. Thanks again Jay
Old October 4th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 45 Times

Usually about a mile. If plenty of flowers around half mile but as flowers get scare further
2010 Built a sugar shack using used tin,,, now got a roof over me
2009 and before cooking out side
2008 bought my piece of land
1972- 2008 cooked as work permitted
1972 Mom and dad made some syrup in kettles for first time
Old October 11th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 600
Journals: 26
Photos: 5
Thanked 46 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Honey bees

Zucker , if it interest you google swarm trap for honey bees. Put out 2 or 3 next spring and see what happens. You might get lucky and get a swarm of freebees. They will travel 2 miles to forage and this time of year they are scrambling for all they can get in preparation for the cold months ahead.
2014 430 taps on line , new 3x10 D&G drop flue and 25
buckets ,looking to expand again next year if it all goes well
2015 500 taps on line , 110 on vac
1 Old Goat just to keep him busy
My awesome wife Marcinda who lets me buy maple stuff John Deere 790 to do all the heavy stuff
and the Good Lord above ,Amen
Lakeview Blueberries/Maple at facebook