Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Photos: 48
Thanked 12 Times
  View my photos  
Default chimney size

Hi , I'm new here . I am building an arch for a 2x4 combo hobby pan by Patrick Phaneuf . I was planning for a chimney size of 8". Is that too big ? If it is too big can I just put a damper in the stack or reduce the size ? Also , the pan is a 5.5" drop flue , how much space should there be under the front and rear of the pan ? I am just about ready to insulate and firebrick . Thankyou Tom averwater
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Welcome Tom Yes you can always put a damper in it. I have seen hobby rigs with sheet metal and bricks over the top of the flue pipe to get the right amount of draw. What did Patrick say was the best size. As far as Space under the Flues. You want the flames/heat to be forced through them so withing 1" is good less space=less fire=less wood=less need for a big flue stack.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 12 Times
  View my photos  
Default Flue size

I emailed Patrick but he never answered my question . Right now I have 2" under the pan . I'll just add another layer of brick to close the gap .Thanks
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

On my Phanuef Rig that I got right from Patrick he has the arch setup so once you have one layer of blanket and split bricks layed on top there is 1/2 inch at best gap below the flues and then where the flue drain is in the back the bricks are cut out so the drain sits in that channel to get the 1/2 inch spacing. This is what he had me do with mine and it boils like mad. Also its a 2x6 with a 8 inch stack. You should be more than good with a 6 inch on your setup. If you go 8 put in a damper and play with it to find the sweet spot.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Journals: 43
Photos: 75
Thanked 87 Times

I just asked this same question aboout spacing the other night. I have 2" ceramic down on my Leader 2x6. My drop flues come within 1.5" of the blanket Which Is darn close to what the half brick is..My question was how much space and I guess the answer would be the less the better. I also have to remember the 1/4" rail gasket that the pans sit on..
Sap puller
12x20 grim filter canner.
2017 equipment purchased: short bank Wes fab filter press and spring tech micro elite two post ro!
Plenty of hardwood split! May take 2017 off this year...
Old January 26th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 12 Times
  View my photos  

I got a phone call from Homestead Maple last nite . He had talked to Patrick and he said to have 1/2" between the bottom of the flues and the top of the fire brick . I will just put another layer of mineral wool under the bricks to raise them up . The wool only costs $.34 a sq. Ft. .