Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:54 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 18 Times

Default Help, need cheap manifold for bender releaser

Hi does anybody have an idea for a manifold it needs to accept 2 3/4 inch and at least 1 or two 1 inch lines also the cheaper the better
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 25
Thanked 14 Times

Given that all the things that variously are being called manifolds and vacuum boosters I've glanced a look to be sections of PVC pipe, I'd guess that sections of PVC pipe (marked NSF-PW - ie, potable water use blessed, not the DWV [sewage/septic] only stuff) with appropriate holes drilled and tapped in, or various fittings put on if you don't have the tools for tapping the holes directly.

Should be pretty cheap to do even if you have to buy fittings, so long as you don't go crazy on trying to make it huge diameter (after 4" it gets pretty nutty - for that few things at those sizes, 2 - 4 inch should be plenty, I think, and 2" will be a lot cheaper)

If you want a clear end window like the fancy ones have, fiddle with getting a clear jar glued onto the end or something like that. Might be able to adapt one of the old glass-top canning jar lids, bails and rubber gaskets to an appropriate size hunk of plastic pipe with a couple of stub holes for the bail to seat in.
2012 or 2013 - getting back in in a new location.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Producer

Thanked 18 Times

i would really like something pretty big and i was looking at fittings and stuff but it would a pain in the but cause of all the fittings and i need to find some cheap sch 80 that i could thread.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 25
Thanked 14 Times

If you have pipe thread taps, or if you are willing to buy pipe thread taps, threading heavywall is the way to go.

But you specified "the cheaper the better", and if you don't have taps, they ain't cheap particularly if you are making just one. And if you can't find a good source for short sections of Sch 80 at a decent price, 4" sch 40 is generally easy to find and good bang for the buck. Much bigger (4X) than 4 one inch lines, much less two of them being 3/4 inch.

Don't know where in Maine you are at, but call a plumber and ask if they have any potable Sch 80 shorts floating around they'd be willing to part with - perhaps if you trade them a gallon of syrup they would trade you the pipe & put the holes in for you with their taps, too. Might also be somebody with a different job title (pipefitter or the like) that works for a papermill or BIW or something that could help you out - ask around.
2012 or 2013 - getting back in in a new location.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

The manifold doesn't have to be that big to work. Yes the Bernard's are nice and big with clear plastic site glass ends. Now all you need to have is a collector/manifold that is equal to the size of the incoming pipes combined. If you have (3) 1" lines coming in to can get away with a 1 1/2" manifold. I made mine out 1 1/2" PVC Ts with the side port that is threaded for !'. Go to SAP RELEASER YOU TUBE and look at my beer keg releaser you will see my set up.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

OH YEA you dont need to see into it and I did mine for about $15.00 for 3 ports.
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 222
Journals: 7
Photos: 7
Thanked 117 Times

I mave made them out of 4" PVC with mixed results. I glued a cap on one end and used one of those plastic test plugs for the other. That way I can clean them out.

I drilled 4 holes and then tapped them for 1" pipe threading. These are for the mainlines and then drilled and tapped a single hole both directions 90 degress from the 4 other holes. That way the top one will be for the vac connection and the bottom one will be for the sap to drainout.

What observation that I have to note is that sch 40 pvc just isn't thick enough to make a nice seal no matter how much teflon tape or pipe sealent you use.
The only way to make a leak free seal is to use other 1" threaded pvc pipe pipes and glue them into the 1" threaded holes. Now you will have a leak free connection.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Producer

Thanked 18 Times

Just scored an 8 inch 5/8 thick blue POTABLE water pipe and I may have someone with some lexan I may make a couple of them thanks for the help.